Canonical To Work On Improving Snap Support Across Linux Distributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical To Work On Improving Snap Support Across Linux Distributions

Phoronix: Canonical To Work On Improving Snap Support Across Linux DIstributions

It looks like 2024 could bring improved support for the Snap app sandboxing/packaging format across Linux distributions to better the overall experience of this Flatpak alternative outside the confines of Ubuntu...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTiNLTY1LlFb8vGaZLUL2AGNyf4FIJt4Bv29m6MFOaEutz5ITVgPc4zmxFmA&s.jpg
    ------

Comment

It seems nobody cares. Improve snaps for yourself. When I was installing Ubuntu 23.10 installer took almost a minute to start in VM. I guess it's now snap based.

Comment

as far as I can read around, even Ubuntu users hate snap.
        I wonder what kind of reaction they expect from other distro users

Comment

Incredible how Canonical always manages to make silly plans for their future. I'd improve flatpak support in Ubuntu instead (if it ever needed improvement).

Comment

I did abolish any Canonical linux distro for me and all the people i support after microsoft invested money in this company and did make deals with them.

and i really do not know a single sane person who is not a microsoft minion who say anything good about snaps

so for what exactly do they do this ? the only rational is to sapotage flatpaks to make sure no standard emerge like microsoft windows .exe or .msi or winget -... .exe can be 32bit or 64bit or both WOW64

their argument is always the same if you use windows you know you use .exe or .msi or winget to make your installer and you are done with supporting the complete platform

and on linux you do not know if you use 32bit elf or 64bit elf or .deb or .rpm or snap or flatpag or appimage and so one...

thats why they always sapotage standards for linux hey sabotaged a WOW64 alternative big-elf who could handle 32bit and 64bit at the same time

they sapotaged the unification of .deb and .rpm they also sapotaged linux standard base

and they now sapotage flatpak to become a standard by make it look like snap is a alternative.

is anyone fooled by them ? i don't think so they can go and improve snap just for themself no sane person will ever use it outside of ubuntu
            Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Here come the trolls. Ubuntu users appreciate the convenience. It's cool that others will get a chance to do as well.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
                as far as I can read around, even Ubuntu users hate snap.
                I wonder what kind of reaction they expect from other distro users
                I am kinda OK with snaps. And I'm not an Ubuntu user. My only gripe with snaps is that some vendors provide snaps exclusively, no flatpaks, and it makes me install snapd on systems where I could be better off with just flatpaks only for such stuff not present in repos. But that's a complaint that should be addressed to such apps vendors, not Canonical.
                Vice versa is not an option too, since lots of snapd apps are provided by some random person (whom I don't trust) instead of a real vendor, or such apps are outdated
                Last edited by openminded; 05 January 2024, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Flatpak is fully Free software and anyone can host their own repo. Snap has a proprietary backend and is centralized.

Comment

They should instead work on an improved Flatpak support on Ubuntu. That would be more useful. ;-)

Comment

Working...
                    X