Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 40 Plans To Unify /usr/bin & /usr/sbin

Phoronix: Fedora 40 Plans To Unify /usr/bin & /usr/sbin

One of the latest change proposals filed for Fedora 40 is to unify their /usr/bin and /usr/sbin locations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Huh, they hadn't done this already? It has been unified on Arch for at least a few years. Oh well, better late than never I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
      Huh, they hadn't done this already? It has been unified on Arch for at least a few years. Oh well, better late than never I guess.
      Already was /bin /sbin -> /usr/bin /usr/sbin.

I guess Debian will have another 6 year war because of this change They've not even completed the usr merge yet, AFAIK.

Comment

So the FHS doesn't matter?

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
          I guess Debian will have another 6 year war because of this change They've not even completed the usr merge yet, AFAIK.
          "It gets better", Debian is among the exceedingly few GNU/Linux distros that do not add {/usr{/local,},}/sbin to PATH for non-root users by default . Cue many speculative genealogy sessions by me on the spot whenever I wanted some network info on Debian boxen using /sbin/ifconfig , /sbin/route , and /sbin/arp (from before I switched to mostly using ip, which is thankfully on /bin )

(As for /usr migration, Debian 13 -- Trixie -- will be fully migrated and IIRC Debian 12 -- bullseye -- already installs with merged /usr by default; the issue is packaging -- packages that still install to /{lib,{,s}bin} -- and a somewhat esoteric bug/corner case in dpkg)

PD: I have no particular horse in this race, but the rationale posted on the Fedora proposed change neatly counters all my arguments for keeping the split .

Comment

They put sbin into usr/bin too ?
            I don’t get it.

If they want to unify folders media could be merged with mnt then.

Comment

Excellent. There's been a few times where I've followed a guide and it didn't work because I didn't realize it needed to use sbin instead of bin.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

Already was /bin /sbin -> /usr/bin /usr/sbin.

Not only Debian: openSUSE Tumbleweed also separates the two still.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
                  ... for at least a few years.
                  Basically 12.

Comment

Why not unify /dev /sys etc. And /home /mnt /media /root into /. Heck why not unify everything and every filename is a hash in /.

more to come destroying linux madness.

Comment

Working...
                    X