Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Linux 39 Released As A Wonderful Upgrade For Leading Workstations & Servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally wallpaper that isn't ugly and depressing as hell. It's even nice one.

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by copyleft View Post
        obviously there is a great demand for kde spin as it is most used desktop.
        KDE is really a good desktop, highly customizable, pretty and easy on hardware (if configured correctly).

Comment

Originally posted by copyleft View Post
          downloading kde spin, going very slowly
          obviously there is a great demand for kde spin as it is most used desktop.

Gnomes on life support
          Is KDE really that popular? I remember compiling KDE circa 2000 for the DEC alpha, took forever to build, it was massive. Version 1.2 I think? Seemed really slick and full of features. Anyhow, was on GNOME 2 forever as that was RHEL default. Then when GNOME 3 abomination arrived, I opted for MATE. I think I'll download a KDE spin and give it a try again, I bet a lot has changed in 20+ years. BTW I still have the Alpha, a Compaq XP1000, 667 Mhz, in my basement.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

X11 support won't disappear any time soon. It will survive on top of wayland compositors.
            And when Wayland dies, then X11 will survive on top of whatever the next successor is (obviously X12).

Comment

I upgraded to F39 a few weeks ago.. Works great!

Comment

don't like the new desktop background image, I think I'll skip this release.

Comment

Fantastic! The best distro out there!

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

And when Wayland dies, then X11 will survive on top of whatever the next successor is (obviously X12).
                    Wayland can't really die given it's scope is different to Xorg.

Wayland is really just a protocol for buffer management and input handling, the former being designed for how modern GPUs work (hence why Asahi supports Wayland only), and why Wayland in concept can achieve far better performance than Xorg.

Xorg was a drawing API, and a printer API, and a bunch of other stuff and all of this was designed in a world where the terminal and computer are in different locations.

You could write an alternative to Wayland, but like the Android or macOS protocols, it would already follow similar design patterns to Wayland.
                    Last edited by Britoid; 07 November 2023, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by milo_hoffman View Post
                      And the LAST Fedora to ever have X11 support. Savor it.
                      And Gnome on wayland, 10+ years later, still can't load new extensions without having to logout. 🤦

That plus things like systemd-bsod is moving Linux closer to Windows every day.

Comment

Working...
                      X