Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Linux 39 Released As A Wonderful Upgrade For Leading Workstations & Servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Linux 39 Released As A Wonderful Upgrade For Leading Workstations & Servers

Phoronix: Fedora Linux 39 Released As A Wonderful Upgrade For Leading Workstations & Servers

While delayed by several weeks compared to their initial release goals, today marks the availability of Fedora 39 as a wonderful upgrade to this popular Linux distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does anyone know if systemd-boot made it into F39 as an install option for a bootloader alternative to Grub? I am looking to do a clean install on a laptop that will be single boot, and if an option, would go with systemd-boot. I am going back and forth with thinking either Arch or Fedora, but given the use of RHEL at my place of work, thinking Fedora a better fit for what I want to do (and have been pretty much happy with it as well.)

For some background, see these. I am mostly looking for a supported option, not something I need to dig in deep for and enable. That said, I am willing to do the later if mostly a workable option (e.g. not an unsupported hack):

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
      Does anyone know if systemd-boot made it into F39 as an install option for a bootloader alternative to Grub? I am looking to do a clean install on a laptop that will be single boot, and if an option, would go with systemd-boot. I am going back and forth with thinking either Arch or Fedora, but given the use of RHEL at my place of work, thinking Fedora a better fit for what I want to do (and have been pretty much happy with it as well.)

For some background, see these. I am mostly looking for a supported option, not something I need to dig in deep for and enable. That said, I am willing to do the later if mostly a workable option (e.g. not an unsupported hack):

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Chang...ystemd_install
      Reading the changeset apparently you just need to to put inst.sdboot on the kernel boot parameters of the installer.
      I would also recommend you make a larger efi partition

Comment

Originally posted by copyleft View Post
        downloading kde spin, going very slowly
        obviously there is a great demand for kde spin as it is most used desktop.

Gnomes on life support
        are you using bittorrent? that would be quite fast (depending on your network speed)

edit: oh, it doesn't matter! I realized too late that you were just gnome-trolling

Comment

obviously there is a great demand for kde spin as it is most used desktop.

Gnomes on life support
          As a KDE user of two decades now, I can say your line of reasoning is as convoluted as our settings app.

Comment

have 200 megabit connection and 12 hours to complete download!!
            If you are using Windows make sure to use IDM or some browser extension with parallel download support.

If you are using Linux aria2, axel supports parallel downloads.

The command for aria2 is, aria2c -x 8 -m 4 https://www.
            The command for axel is, axel -a -n 16 https://www.

I just downloaded the KDE spin too, it only took 3 minutes to download.

Comment

Kinoite rebased to fedora 39. no issues.

Comment

I don't know what's so "wonderful" about it, it's just a bunch of updated software packages, with no new functionality.

Then again, nearly all Linux distros fall into this category:

Linux vendor: "Oh look, we have upgraded package xyz to version 69".

Me: "Any particular reason why?"

Linux vendor: "We like the number 69."

Me: "Who doesn't?"

Seriously though, this past Saturday I went down a rabbit hole with my dual boot laptop and ended up screwing up both my Windows 10 install and Mint install, so i decided to try a few distros to see where they currently stood before i blasted both installs and started fresh.

One of the distro i tried was the Mate spin of Fedora 39 beta and frankly I was not impressed, lots of bugs and things crashing, desktop freezing, error messages and so on.

I decided to treat this as if I had a computer shop and a client walked in and wanted a reliable, stable, Windows/Linux dual boot.

I installed Windows 10, with Cortana enabled, side note, Cortana is so cool, it's a shame Linux doesn't have something like this; and then installed all the updates.

This process took way too long.

I then grabbed a copy of Fedora 38 Workstation, installed that, tested to make sure the dual boot worked fine and Fedora could access the shared partition without corrupting anything, installed Mate from the Fedora repo, enabled the fusion repos and updated the whole system,.

This went much faster than Windows 10.

The one thing about Fedora Workstation, is that it reminds me of Windows in many ways.

Unlike many distros that come preinstalled with a bunch of stuff, applications, drivers that are installed automatically, etc, Fedora requires a lot of configuring to get it to where I want it and I actually like that.

One problem is with flatpaks, despite the fact that i installed a bunch of them, I can't get the system to see them, they don't show up in the menu, they don't show up in the Gnome store and they won't run from the command line but when i try to install them again, I get an error message that they are already installed.

I'm going to have to purge the system and try again.

I will wait some time for 39 to be fully baked, see if any bugs show up now that it's widely available and probably update in a month or so.

Comment

And the LAST Fedora to ever have X11 support. Savor it.

Comment

Originally posted by milo_hoffman View Post
                    And the LAST Fedora to ever have X11 support. Savor it.
                    X11 support won't disappear any time soon. It will survive on top of wayland compositors.

Comment

Working...
                    X