Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Linux 39 Released As A Wonderful Upgrade For Leading Workstations & Servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    Is KDE really that popular? I remember compiling KDE circa 2000 for the DEC alpha, took forever to build, it was massive. Version 1.2 I think? Seemed really slick and full of features. Anyhow, was on GNOME 2 forever as that was RHEL default. Then when GNOME 3 abomination arrived, I opted for MATE. I think I'll download a KDE spin and give it a try again, I bet a lot has changed in 20+ years. BTW I still have the Alpha, a Compaq XP1000, 667 Mhz, in my basement.
    Gnome 3 is actually quite usable with enough added extensions, but without them... 🤦

I'd probably switch to KDE if there was something that worked similarly to gTile on Gnome/Cinnamon.

Code:
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    blur-my-shell@aunetx
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    gTile@vibou
    just-perfection-desktop@just-perfection
    [email protected]​
    ​

** Apparently the forum automatically converts gnome-extension names into clickable email addresses and then blocks the post, trying as a codeblock instead.

Comment

Originally posted by calc View Post
      I'd probably switch to KDE if there was something that worked similarly to gTile on Gnome/Cinnamon.
      the KDE devs released a nifty tiling implementation with Plasma 5.27 https://kde.org/announcements/plasma/5/5.27.0/. not sure if it covers up all the functionality of gTile as I haven't used that

Comment

Originally posted by mikelpr View Post
        the KDE devs released a nifty tiling implementation with Plasma 5.27 https://kde.org/announcements/plasma/5/5.27.0/. not sure if it covers up all the functionality of gTile as I haven't used that
        gTile lets you do traditional style tiling, or you can draw where you want a window to be placed which is what I use it for.

Its, more or less, an extension of the idea of being able to push windows into a half or quarter of the screen like what most desktops already support.
        ​
        I have 3 43" 4K screens so really nothing should ever be full screen and gTile makes it very easy to place the windows where I want them to be at any given time. I have my screens setup as a 6x6 grid per screen and I can place a window covering any number of those squares via drawing with the mouse.

This video showed how it worked 12 years ago, which is roughly the same now.

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/28/gtile/https://github.com/vibou/vibou.gTilegnome shell extension that tiles windows as you like
        Last edited by calc; 07 November 2023, 02:28 PM.

Comment

KDE iso takes forever to download. KDE is clearly on life support. They can't even afford some mirrors unlike GNOME \s

Comment

Originally posted by calc View Post

gTile lets you do traditional style tiling, or you can draw where you want a window to be placed which is what I use it for.

Its, more or less, an extension of the idea of being able to push windows into a half or quarter of the screen like what most desktops already support.
            ​
            I have 3 43" 4K screens so really nothing should ever be full screen and gTile makes it very easy to place the windows where I want them to be at any given time. I have my screens setup as a 6x6 grid per screen and I can place a window covering any number of those squares via drawing with the mouse.

This video showed how it worked 12 years ago, which is roughly the same now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqgsVerrWy0
            I don't know about 6x6, but you can, with focus follows mouse / window focus and key binding (window key + arrow keys or windows key + pg up) get your windows to be top half, bottom half, left half, right half or corners or back to full screen without out ever touching your mouse outside of the window focus part.

Comment

I read this news and so I upgraded my Fedora 37 installation to 38 today. Don't need the latest and greatest version for my daily work.

Comment

I'll get around to updating to KDE Fedora 39 sometime this week. My host systems all run KUbuntu, but do have Fedora in a VM just because I am a bit nostalgic when it comes to Redhat as I used it for many years (Slack->Redhat->Fedora Core->Fedora). Got tired of short upgrade cycle and moved to an LTS. As mentioned above, each upgrade is a ho-hum as it is still 'the same' as far as my work flow goes. Type gcc and compiler still runs -- just like the previous version, and the version before that.... That's ok with me as an OS should just get out of the way and let us get work done. Linux and the KDE desktop gets me there. As long as the familiar menu button is on the left bottom corner, and a standard menu is presented and I can run applications as usual... I am Good. After all that is all a OS and a simple GUI is needed for -- to run your Office, browser, mail, and development applications....

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                  Finally wallpaper that isn't ugly and depressing as hell. It's even nice one.
                  If that's the image in Michael's article, it looks like a water bubble under a microscope to me. With a hair follicle behind it. Not really terribly pleasant.

Originally posted by fitzie View Post
                  don't like the new desktop background image, I think I'll skip this release.
                  You know what they say, "ugly wallpaper is a huge security risk". Did you ever know of anyone with cool wallpaper that got pwned? No, of course not.
                  Last edited by andyprough; 07 November 2023, 05:03 PM.

Comment

now now kids.
                    KDE is for people who like the windows ui
                    Gnome is better for those of us who have a mac as a second machine.

plenty of room for both.

Comment

So the proof that KDE is popular is that somebodies Download speed for that image is slow...

If that is not a scientific fact based way to measure demand, then I don't know any...

And the Redhat / Fedora and Ubuntu and Debian folks all just are to stubborn to switch from this Desktop that only 1% of linux users use and go to the great leading KDE / Plasma desktop that >90% of linux users use...

Funny enough that KDE Folks call the desktop incorrectly KDE so even their fanboys can't accept the new name of the desktop.

Comment

Working...
                      X