KDE Plasma 6.0 Approved For Fedora 40 - Including Dropping The X11 Session

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 6.0 Approved For Fedora 40 - Including Dropping The X11 Session

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 6.0 Approved For Fedora 40 - Including Dropping The X11 Session

The Fedora Engineering and Steering Committee (FESCo) has signed off on shipping KDE Plasma 6.0 as the KDE desktop option for Fedora 40. Additionally, as part of this change, the plan is to drop the KDE X11 session to leave only the KDE Plasma Wayland session available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Unhappy about this move, unless nouveau will get better (unlikely) on my hardware till then.

Comment

The decision to drop X11 support which is guaranteed to work well (and much better than under Wayland) looks extremely weird and almost user hostile.

I remembered Linux was about user choice, not about enforcing something which is not feature complete and equally bug free.

Comment

Originally posted by NSLW View Post
        Unhappy about this move, unless nouveau will get better (unlikely) on my hardware till then.
        I'm not sure why you say that exactly, however there is actually a big reason to think that exactly that will happen! Lots of work happening on Nouveau right now.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
          ... not about enforcing something which is not feature complete and equally bug free.
          That is somewhat of a misnomer. Wayland has been used by a lot of people for a long time now. Besides, if Fedora 40 is Wayland-only that means 100% of the bug reports (and thus the bug fixes that result from them) will resolve quite a lot of corner-cases.

Comment

The decision to drop X11 support which is guaranteed to work well (and much better than under Wayland) looks extremely weird and almost user hostile.

I remembered Linux was about user choice, not about enforcing something which is not feature complete and equally bug free.
            you only talk this shit because you did the wrong choice by purchase Nvidia GPUs.
            please sell your Nvidia GPUs and buy AMD or Intel gpus then you can anjoy the x11 free future of wayland.
            i am on wayland only for years now with my AMD hardware on Fedora.
            Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

you only talk this shit because you did the wrong choice by purchase Nvidia GPUs.
              please sell your Nvidia GPUs and buy AMD or Intel gpus then you can anjoy the x11 free future of wayland.
              i am on wayland only for years now with my AMD hardware on Fedora.
              He cant do that, he must show absolute loyalty to Dear Leader Jensen!!

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

That is somewhat of a misnomer. Wayland has been used by a lot of people for a long time now. Besides, if Fedora 40 is Wayland-only that means 100% of the bug reports (and thus the bug fixes that result from them) will resolve quite a lot of corner-cases.
                Wayland in itself does not exist, you don't talk about it like that. It's a protocol, basically a text description.

What exists is multiple Wayland protocol implementations with varying features and bugs.

KDE under Wayland has not been feature complete and bug free vs its x11 counterpart:

This is not a complete list of issues, their bug tracker has a ton more.

NVIDIA has little to nothing to do with that unlike a raging hateful belittling comment above wrongfully suggests.

Comment

I remembered Linux was about user choice
                  It still is, you are completely free to choose whether or not you use Fedora.

Comment

Linux was about user choice
                    That is debatable. Regardless, you are free to choose a different distro, to build Plasma yourself, or to use a COPR that provides such a build.

Comment

Working...
                    X