KDE Plasma 6.0 Approved For Fedora 40 - Including Dropping The X11 Session

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ernstp View Post

I'm not sure why you say that exactly, however there is actually a big reason to think that exactly that will happen! Lots of work happening on Nouveau right now.
    I'm afraid to see more artifacts like this (bug link) after switching to nouveau.
    System_info.gif
    I'm not sure where do you see this work happening. Feature Matrix seems like not changing very much over the years and with artifacts as seen above, I'm not sure if what's marked there as done is really done.

Comment

Originally posted by csutcliff View Post

It still is, you are completely free to choose whether or not you use Fedora.
      This sounds like I'm free to drop Fedora, i.e. stop using Linux altogether. I have used fedora since RedHat 5.0, longer than many people here have lived. I don't intend to distro hop ever because most people who do that, are trying to find something which doesn't exist or is not guaranteed.

Anyways, what a nice welcoming all inclusive comment! No wonder people are running from Linux like a plague: "Take this (horrible mess of unstable packages pretending to be an OS) or leave it".

"KDE under Wayland is perfect. If it's not, you're a dumb a** and you're holding it wrong." Ok!

Have a nice day.

Comment

I'm sort of hoping that, well, if there's enough "love" of Fedora, that maybe this will spark a lot of projects to try to make something usable out of the current very incomplete situation. Yes, I know (extremely limited use) fan bois will say, "It runs gnome terminal, therefore, Wayland (plus requisite compositor(s)) is 100% complete!" But that's really not the truth at all (not even close). Anyhow, maybe this will spark more work so that the amount of "loss" becomes less and less. I mean, it's easy to say, COBOL sucks, it's a different thing to successfully migrate everything off of it.... especially if you're replacing COBOL with Forth. So, this Fedora move could be what is needed.

Comment

The only thing that runs xorg server was sddm on my Kubuntu 23.10 system. But sddm (>v0.20) can be switched to Wayland. I did that and xorg server is gone completely from process list. Just a few apps like Krita are still using xwayland.

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post
            I'm sort of hoping that, well, if there's enough "love" of Fedora, that maybe this will spark a lot of projects to try to make something usable out of the current very incomplete situation. Yes, I know (extremely limited use) fan bois will say, "It runs gnome terminal, therefore, Wayland (plus requisite compositor(s)) is 100% complete!" But that's really not the truth at all (not even close). Anyhow, maybe this will spark more work so that the amount of "loss" becomes less and less. I mean, it's easy to say, COBOL sucks, it's a different thing to successfully migrate everything off of it.... especially if you're replacing COBOL with Forth. So, this Fedora move could be what is needed.
            A move that's really needed for Wayland is this one but it's been rejected and we've been reaping its fruits and we'll continue to do so for decades to come.

As it currently stands all the Wayland compositors must implement (some of which are yet to be standardized): Screen recording and...

There's zero reason for Linux DEs (and WMs like icewm, jwm, etc) to reimplement the Wayland protocol over and over.

First if took (heavily funded by redhat) Gnome many years to reach maturity under Wayland, then KDE which is far from the finish line, then come the poor sods like XFCE who don't have the funding or man power to throw at the issue.

But the problem is NVIDIA. LMAO.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

you only talk this shit because you did the wrong choice by purchase Nvidia GPUs.
              please sell your Nvidia GPUs and buy AMD or Intel gpus then you can anjoy the x11 free future of wayland.
              i am on wayland only for years now with my AMD hardware on Fedora.
              What kind of useless and irrespectful agressivity is this?
              For your own good, calm down. Next one with that tone I'll report. This is even worse than the usual trolls, forums really don't need that kind of ambiance. Especially on forums preaching *free sofware* (which implies freedom of choice).

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

That is somewhat of a misnomer. Wayland has been used by a lot of people for a long time now. Besides, if Fedora 40 is Wayland-only that means 100% of the bug reports (and thus the bug fixes that result from them) will resolve quite a lot of corner-cases.
                There are still quite many issues with KDE's default login manager:https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues?...3Aopen+wayland

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

There are still quite many issues with KDE's default login manager:https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues?...3Aopen+wayland
                  I use sddm (0.20) on wayland without any issue on Ubuntu 23.10 with Plasma 5.27.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

This sounds like I'm free to drop Fedora, i.e. stop using Linux altogether. I have used fedora since RedHat 5.0, longer than many people here have lived. I don't intend to distro hop ever because most people who do that, are trying to find something which doesn't exist or is not guaranteed.

Anyways, what a nice welcoming all inclusive comment! No wonder people are running from Linux like a plague: "Take this (horrible mess of unstable packages pretending to be an OS) or leave it".
                    Have you been using Fedora for so long and haven't noticed that it's the bleeding edge distribution? No one is running away from Linux (maybe except snap crap victims), and you contradict yourself: if people were running away from Linux now, it would mean that X must be terribly bad. It's because no one has forced Wayland on them yet.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

"KDE under Wayland is perfect. If it's not, you're a dumb a** and you're holding it wrong." Ok!

Have a nice day.
                      You are right I am also running away from Linux after 12 years. I don't want an AMD GPU and a desktop on Nvidia after Wayland is completely unusable
                      I won't bend over backwards for the psychopathic Fedora developers. I'll just use another OS that suits me. I won't test the moronic Wayland, which won't catch up with X.org for another 15 years

Comment

Working...
                      X