No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 23.10 Now Available With ZFS Desktop Install Option, Linux 6.5 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 23.10 Now Available With ZFS Desktop Install Option, Linux 6.5 Kernel

Phoronix: Ubuntu 23.10 Now Available With ZFS Desktop Install Option, Linux 6.5 Kernel

Ubuntu 23.10 "Mantic Minotaur" is now officially available for download as the latest (non-LTS) Ubuntu Linux release with a wealth of updated packages, continued desktop installer improvements, and other refinements ahead of the Ubuntu 24.04 LTS cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

With Linux 6.5 comes AMD P-State use by default on Ryzen systems,
    I still had to enable this with the boot command. odd.

Comment

Is last curl cve fixed in Ubuntu?

Comment

Ubuntu, trying to stay relevant. How funny...

Comment

How good / scary / risky (i.e. likelihood of messing up things to the point that a clean install & data recovery from backup) is the ubuntu major version update / upgrade for already configured & installed systems these days e.g. 23.04 x64 to 23.10?

Comment

"Ubuntu 23.10 has been running very well on the many test systems I've tried it on thus far."

Same for me (23.10 Mate on a B550/5800X/RX580), except for the usual RhythmBox* freezes.

*If I wanted instability, I'd run Banshee, aka the steaming pile with the best interface ever

Comment

Originally posted by pong View Post
              How good / scary / risky (i.e. likelihood of messing up things to the point that a clean install & data recovery from backup) is the ubuntu major version update / upgrade for already configured & installed systems these days e.g. 23.04 x64 to 23.10?
              Not bad. I've been doing upgrades since 21.10, i.e. started with 21.10 and continued upgrading the same install and now I'm on 23.04. Overall it went good with no major issues. if I remember correctly there was one situation where I had to re-install an app or something like that. The main issue I have right now is that my boot partition is smaller than it should be. I think with 21.10 the kernel size was smaller and so the ~700mb partition size selected by default by the Ubuntu installer was enough, but now with newer kernels it's no longer enough for holding more than two kernels. So now when there is a kernel update I have to manually uninstall the older kernel before running the update. But I would say it's understandable that the upgrader wouldn't touch partition sizes.

Comment

Originally posted by pong View Post
                I did one of my systems. The fonts corrupted during the upgrade but was fine after the reboot. Unless you have lots of strange software it should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                  Ubuntu, trying to stay relevant. How funny...
                  Newbies, trying to pretend they're "cool kids" by not liking Ubuntu and probably running some goofy rolling release distro that actually sucks but noone's smart enough to understand why. Funny.

Comment

I installed the 23.10 nightly build a few nights ago, obviously now upgraded to release. It's been going very swimmingly, KDE isn't Plasma 6 yet but 5 has really been polished to a T at this point. Congrats to the Canonical team.

Comment

Working...
                    X