No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 23.10 Now Available With ZFS Desktop Install Option, Linux 6.5 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mercster Pop_OS only builds off the Ubuntu LTS series. But they do update and modify a few key things around the kernel and such. They also minimize snap which is awesome (from a guy who has tried to love snap...).

Yes you can install newer software into it, but Linux can often run into it own version of DLL hell when things get out of sync. This is most common when trying to match newer software into things like Ubuntu LTS releases, as you no doubt have experienced. This is the place for rolling distros, but as you said, if you want audited stable you just deal with not the bleeding edge and these days stability and compatibility are by far the greatest metric.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

This ain't a pissing contest and I don't give a crap about a troll, nor is it a big deal interview for a fat paycheck. So, I'm not gonna spill the beans on my skills or my creds.​
      So says the person who shows up all the time to piss on Ubuntu and Ubuntu users but act like someone raped his daughter when challenged to tell the world what he uses.

And still dares to say it's not a pissing contest even after throwing the first insult.
      Last edited by Sonadow; 13 October 2023, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mercster View Post

When someone complains about Ubuntu's software being "old", I have to think they really don't know how to manipulate the operating system at a lower level. I dunno.
        Dunno? That's the whole truth.

Otherwise they would have already built and put Qt6 in Ubuntu 20.04. Or compiled a 6.6 kernel and mesa 23.1.9 into a three-year-old distribution.

The latter of which I regularly do on Debian and a couple of stable Russian distributions.

There's also nothing "long in the tooth" about Ubuntu's and Debian's packages. Being two or three minor versions behind is not going to make a bloody difference. Hell, there's a reason commercial software houses and major projects who provide Linux binaries of their products always build on old distributions. Because of bloody lack of glibc forwards compatibility.

Try asking TDF to build the next binary release of LibreOffice on Ubuntu 23.10. Or Firefox to build the next release of their browser on Ubuntu 23.10. And see how many pissed-off people there will be when the distributed binaries don't work on their systems because the reference build system is too new.
        Last edited by Sonadow; 13 October 2023, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
          Dunno? That's the whole truth.
          Otherwise they would have already built and put Qt6 in Ubuntu 20.04. Or compiled a 6.6 kernel and mesa 23.1.9 into a three-year-old distribution.
          Which sounds like it's disagreeing with me, but then:

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
          There's also nothing "long in the tooth" about Ubuntu's and Debian's packages. Being two or three minor versions behind is not going to make a bloody difference. Hell, there's a reason commercial software houses and major projects who provide Linux binaries of their products always build on old distributions. Because of bloody lack of glibc forwards compatibility.

Try asking TDF to build the next binary release of LibreOffice on Ubuntu 23.10. Or Firefox to build the next release of their browser on Ubuntu 23.10. And see how many pissed-off people there will be when the distributed binaries don't work on their systems because the reference build system is too new.
          I think you're confusing two people here. I'm saying that, yes while a stable release distro like Ubuntu will be a few versions behind, in practice this means absolutely nothing to someone who just wants their computer to work. I agree with you in that... does it matter that someone's version of, hell I dunno, LibreOffice isn't the absolute latest version? No, it doesn't. I think a lot of the kids that come from Windows these days still have this mentality of "THE NEWEST VERSION IS THE BEST VERSION!"... Why aren't you on 7.14 bro, 7.12 is sooooooo ooooooooold! (arbitrary version number for example.)

As far as QT6 goes, I dunno what's using it. KDE Plasma 6 isn't out and most software is built against QT5 at this point. For some people this is some kind of contest, where all they do with their operating systems is compare version numbers and benchmark results. (I have no doubt some bleeding-edge distro out there is building against QT6 somehow, do these kids know the difference? No, they just know 6 is a bigger number than 5.) If that's how they wanna play with their toys, that's fine. But they shouldn't pretend to have the wisdom or wherewithal to criticize other platforms or softwares that they don't have the first fucking clue as to the reasoning or methodology behind.

Comment

Don’t be a chicken and spit it out. Which Linux flavor are you rocking? I’m a Linux geek myself, I roll with 5 different distros depending on what I need and how I feel. Despite of that, I would NEVER use Ubuntu for anything serious
            Those of us who actually do this for a living don't have time to sit around and play with linux distributions all day. Plus, if you actually know what you are doing when it comes to home desktop use (where I assume your experience comes from) there isn't much of a difference amongst them anyway other than release cadence. Sure, there are a different bundle of preinstalled packages but you can always remove those.

Have you used Debian Woody. What about IRIX and AIX? Have you used OS/2 and BeOS? What sbout BSD? What about AmigaOS? QNX?
            lol none of those (besides debian woody, a release from 2003) are even linux. QNX isn't even really unix. I'm not sure why you brought them up (beyond some kind of weird attempt to flex your epeen)
            Last edited by partcyborg; 13 October 2023, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post
              Those of us who actually do this for a living don't have time to sit around and play with linux distributions all day. Plus, if you actually know what you are doing when it comes to home desktop use (where I assume your experience comes from) there isn't much of a difference amongst them anyway other than release cadence. Sure, there are a different bundle of preinstalled packages but you can always remove those.
              Yeah, I always find it funny when people install different distros and try to evaluate them on, like... the default desktop that pops up on a bog-standard installation. You realize you can, uh... just install whatever desktop you like on whatever distro you like, right? It's like buying a 1993 Pontiac Fiero because it looks cool, they have no idea what's going on under the hood or how to evaluate the underlying technologies involved. He's rolling with FIVE different distros, dude!

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post
              lol none of those (besides debian woody, a release from 2003) are even linux. QNX isn't even really unix. I'm not sure why you brought them up (beyond some kind of weird attempt to flex your epeen)
              I think he was just trying to start a pissing match over who has more computer experience, bizarrely listing a bunch of operating systems that aren't Windows. Joke's on him, as I was probably using many of the UNIXen he mentioned in a professional capacity before he was born. Just rattling shit he had heard of off the top of his head. 😂 Now if he had asked about VMS, I'd be REALLY impressed!

Comment

Which sounds like it's disagreeing with me
                I wasn't.

Comment

Yeah, I always find it funny when people install different distros and try to evaluate them on, like... the default desktop that pops up on a bog-standard installation. You realize you can, uh... just install whatever desktop you like on whatever distro you like, right? It's like buying a 1993 Pontiac Fiero because it looks cool, they have no idea what's going on under the hood or how to evaluate the underlying technologies involved. He's rolling with FIVE different distros, dude!

I think he was just trying to start a pissing match over who has more computer experience, bizarrely listing a bunch of operating systems that aren't Windows. Joke's on him, as I was probably using many of the UNIXen he mentioned in a professional capacity before he was born. Just rattling shit he had heard of off the top of his head. 😂 Now if he had asked about VMS, I'd be REALLY impressed!
                  Joke's on him as well because I grew up on DOS.

Also, dealing with the differences between two distributions is already painful enough. core system binaries and libraries being built with different options, differences in filesystem locations of various libs and binaries, different distributions have bloody different triples which cause some binaries to go apeshit because they expect to see a certain triple, etc.

Enough for me to proudly say this anywhere I am; I still am a huge Windows fan. And I still like using Windows. Even Windows 11. It has no true peer on the desktop. not even macOS stacks up.
                  Last edited by Sonadow; 13 October 2023, 04:14 AM.

Comment

Ubuntu, trying to stay relevant. How funny...
                    Yeah, what's wrong? I use my own custom kernel, but the rest is totally fine to me.

Comment

You were doing pretty well and you almost had me convinced that you knew what you were talking about but the statement above has me wondering.

Take MX Linux, either the XFCE or KDE version, and install Mate in it, via any method you want, and watch what a mess it becomes.

Take Mint and try to shoehorn KDE into it and see how much work it takes for it to run properly.

If you want some "fun", take Ubuntu Studio and install XFCE. Mate, and Gnome in it and see if you can even log into the desktop.

And if you are feeling really adventurous, try to remove the broken desktops you now have and return to the original configuration and then tell me that "you can, uh... just install whatever desktop you like on whatever distro you like".

This is absolutely not true and if you have been using Linux as long as you claim, then you would know that.

Linux in general looks for excuses to break, for all the claimed stability and all the claims about being able to do whatever you want with it, Linux is a temperamental child that will throw a fit at a moment's notice.

Comment

Working...
                      X