Fedora 40 Looks To Offer KDE Plasma 6 Desktop, Drop The KDE X11 Session

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
    The simple fact is, wayland is nothing without the 99.9999999% of Linux GUI applications that are built on X11, and none of them will ever adopt wayland, because it's a steaming pile of shit, whose only "benefit" is you can't stream the desktop, a "benefit" very recently abandoned because it's a stupid idea.
    That is patently false. I compiled labwc without xwayland support, so Wayland only, anything that depends on X would not work and crash. And guess what? Nearly all of my usual applications work, except Intellij IDEA and they are in the process of adding Wayland support.

I am so fed up by the utter bullshit the X apologists spew, it is like talking to flat earthers.

Comment

Originally posted by kattjaevel View Post

I use Kate almost daily. The Windows version at work and on Kubuntu at home. It has a lot of settings which can be confusing but if you take the time to set it up to your liking you might find it's quite powerful. What kind of issues do you have?
      I think it looks horrible and have a UI that is confusing.
      It feels way too complicated for a text editor so for a text editor I would want something much simpler, and for real work, I would prefer a IDE. So I would rather go for gedit or VS Code instead.

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post

That is patently false. I compiled labwc without xwayland support, so Wayland only, anything that depends on X would not work and crash. And guess what? Nearly all of my usual applications work, except Intellij IDEA and they are in the process of adding Wayland support.

I am so fed up by the utter bullshit the X apologists spew, it is like talking to flat earthers.
        you just need to uninstall xwayland to see what the os is like without xwayland.

Comment

you just need to uninstall xwayland to see what the os is like without xwayland.
          Did that, gamescope and Plasma Wayland were dependent and removed.

Wine is also still in progress to move to wayland it seems, my last info is from 2022. Maybe I need to config something but that seems to be affected.

Again, most of my installed stuff worked. What did not work seems to be in the progress of migration to Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Yeah, it was a nightmare. So unusable and confusing.

Do you still use Kate anyway or do you use some other Qt-based text editor on KDE?
            I use Featherpad.

Comment

Did that, gamescope and Plasma Wayland were dependent and removed.

Wine is also still in progress to move to wayland it seems, my last info is from 2022. Maybe I need to config something but that seems to be affected.

Again, most of my installed stuff worked. What did not work seems to be in the progress of migration to Wayland.
              Interesting, not sure I believe it, but that doesn't matter anyway. I'm still switching to Oracle Linux for my next OS refresh (already moved all my VMs to it), where I already know everything works flawlessly and there is none of this timewasting.

Comment

Interesting, not sure I believe it, but that doesn't matter anyway. I'm still switching to Oracle Linux for my next OS refresh (already moved all my VMs to it), where I already know everything works flawlessly and there is none of this timewasting.
                You're welcome.

Code:

Comment

You're welcome.

Code:
                  vs

Originally posted by hiryu View Post
                  KDE+Wayland+Nvidia hasn't been a great experience for me. I really tried... but it was rather sluggish/laggy. I eventually reverted back to X.

Hardware acceleration for Firefox doesn't work. If you force it, Firefox will typically crash in under a minute (and even if by miracle it lasts longer than that, it still ALWAYS crash). Is this strictly an Nvidia wayland problem or an issue with kwin+Nvidia+Wayland? I'm unsure.

On my laptop with Optimus, KDE+Wayland is pretty great. Very zippy. Firefox is accelerated. I'm unsure how, but at least through Steam, the Nvidia GPU just works for games. I don't even have to set environment variables to get games to use the discrete GPU like I do under X.

Hopefully by the time KDE 6 is out and ready for prime time, these issues will be addressed.
                  ​
                  Which pretty much echos my experience the two or three times previously I wasted time trying it only to find at best it can be described as alpha quality and generally makes winblows seem stable and useable. Plus anything running on QT (best case for wayland) is screwed because the QT wayland developers keep giving up, not least because they were promised better performance and the result was

And that is just the stuff that "might work" - completely ignoring the 100,000 other linux gui applications which will always need xwayland because they have been stable and unmaintained for decades.

So no, a screenshot showing a very recent firefox build can start up using wayland doesnt prove anything has changed.
                  Last edited by mSparks; 15 September 2023, 08:29 PM.

Comment

So no, a screenshot showing a very recent firefox build can start up using wayland doesnt prove anything has changed.
                    On my laptop's iGPU, I'd say Firefox is plenty response... I haven't benchmarked anything, but not laggy like with Nvidia+Wayland.

The link showing the comparison between Qt on X11 and Wayland is interesting. The first comment I see blames it on the compositor. It's not clear to me if this was tested in Kwin or not. Should be easy to verify by testing under something with more mature Wayland support such Gnome, etc I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by hiryu View Post

On my laptop's iGPU, I'd say Firefox is plenty response... I haven't benchmarked anything, but not laggy like with Nvidia+Wayland.
                      My absolute guess would be the iGPU doesn't support some acceleration feature(s) that firefox expects to work but wayland doesn't support, (and jib at those who wasted my time - wont support for another 14 years).

Comment

Working...
                      X