Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mint Debian Edition 6 Reaches Beta

Phoronix: Linux Mint Debian Edition 6 Reaches Beta

Linux Mint Debian Edition 6 "LMDE 6" is now available in beta form for this desktop Linux distribution spin from the Linux Mint crew derived directly from Debian packages rather than Ubuntu...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm curious at this stage what benefit Ubuntu brings vs. Debian as a base distro. I so often hear of Mint as an alternative to Ubuntu that fixes some of it's issues, why not avoid it altogether and use Debian as the base?

Comment

Yay! Long live Debian! Long live LMDE!

Comment

Originally posted by W-Floyd View Post
        I'm curious at this stage what benefit Ubuntu brings vs. Debian as a base distro. I so often hear of Mint as an alternative to Ubuntu that fixes some of it's issues, why not avoid it altogether and use Debian as the base?
        Linux Mint it too late to the party, MX Linux didn't wait and just did it, they are based purely on Debian, and are first on Distrowatch. Ubuntu and it's derivatives are slowly fading away.

Comment

What's the point of this?
          What changes it does on top of Debian?
          Debian itself even has first-class support for KDE Plasma and Gnome, besides support for Cinnamon, MATE, XFCE like LMDE.
          So I really don't understand what's the point of this.
          It seems to me that it's a worse and more limited version of Debian.
          They say they don't have time to support KDE Plasma and Gnome, but they have the time to use two different bases and three different DEs while they get a lot of donations each month.
          Linux Mint looks like Mozilla, good resources, but the management, leadership is bad.
          No wonder less and less people are recommending Linux Mint.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            Debian itself even has first-class support for KDE Plasma and Gnome, besides support for Cinnamon, MATE, XFCE like LMDE.
            They say they don't have time to support KDE Plasma and Gnome, but they have the time to use two different bases and three different DEs while they get a lot of donations each month.
            Linux Mint looks like Mozilla, good resources, but the management, leadership is bad.
            it comes with sudo install...

Comment

The only benefit I can think of is that Ubuntu has Kisak mesa ppa which brings the latest stable mesa to any supported Ubuntu version. Afais, Debian doesn't ship updated mesa in its backports repository, at least not for the last few stable versions. But even then, since Flatpak has matured lately, it can fill the gap for that because it ships up to date mesa as an app runtime. For example, this is one of the reasons I use Steam Flatpak on my Debian 12.

Comment

It looks exactly the opposite to me. The good things of Debian, but with all the polishing and good tools the Mint team brings on top of it (the update manager is a bless for example. Easy management of kernels, sources, PPA for the ubuntu version... in GUI). + it has all the (unfortunately necessary) proprietary bits you need nowadays to run the hardware and the common proprietary software in the repo (Skype, Steam, ...). All of this being very stable and with a tweaked Cinnamon looking a lot like Windows. That's the reason why it is the good-to distrib for me for anyone new to the linux world.

Do you have sources for this, or is it just your feeling?

Comment

The reason is obvious. Ubuntu is expected one day go the way of the Red Hat EL. Debian is a solid backup plan.

Comment

The whole point of LMDE is to be Mint's backup plan in case Ubuntu ceases to exist. It's the same as their Ubuntu version except that it's based on Debian instead. That's it, that's the point. They also say it's to make sure the software they develop is compatible outside of Ubuntu....feel free to make your own jokes about how different Ubuntu and Debian actually are in regards to ensuring your software works in as many places as possible...

Before 2020 I'd never have considered Mint. Now that Snaps and other Corporate Linux Uses are so pervasive, Mint today is what Ubuntu was a decade ago -- a user friendly OS that caters the home desktop. Ubuntu today -- a user friendly OS that caters towards corporate desktops.

LMDE is the last Apt-based distribution I used before moving to the Arch ecosystem so I have fond memories of it.

Comment

Working...
                    X