Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LoongArch "Loong64" Added To Debian Ports

Phoronix: LoongArch "Loong64" Added To Debian Ports

In addition to Debian promoting RISC-V to an official CPU architecture for the newly in development Debian 13 cycle, another CPU architecture/port change is adding LoongArch "Loong64" as a new Debian Port...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If they have any intention to compete with ARM, AMD64 or RISC-V in the future, they better put out low cost (and I mean really cheap) development boards to people start porting their apps for LoongArch. Otherwise they will be severely limiting their grown, even inside China itself.

Comment

Not sure if mainstream distros should support. LoongArch. This helps China to get independent from western tech. since it would give them a OS/ecosystem for "free" to operate their development.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
        Not sure if mainstream distros should support. LoongArch. This helps China to get independent from western tech. since it would give them a OS/ecosystem for "free" to operate their development.
        Not sure if mainstream distros should support amd64/x86-64. This helps the US to maintain dominance to everywhere else tech, since it gives them an OS/ecosystem for "free" to make difficult others development.

Comment

If you're worried about LoongArch, don't look at where almost all RISC-V development is happening...

Comment

Originally posted by andresdju View Post

Not sure if mainstream distros should support amd64/x86-64. This helps the US to maintain dominance to everywhere else tech, since it gives them an OS/ecosystem for "free" to make difficult others development.

I would have rather named Intel and Nvidia - but this statement is just true.
            And it is ridiculous that China got 'the enemy' while US companies produce a lot in China and really depend on them.
            Additionally it is silly that such arguments are waved upon OpenSource and Free SW ... such argument would be expected
            by monopoly companies who like embargos, enslaving licenses (which they call 'permissive') and hate free SW using GPL.
            Debian is still at its heart connected with the free spirit - much more than most people running FSF parties.
            Free SW is about freedom of users - for entire mankind - not just some humans who think to be special/selected/...
            And one should consider that individuals may be evil - even governments - but never entire countries (that
            is even true for the USA).
            There are really honorable people in every country ... so such branding to countrie is just ill and stupid ... dogs of war ...

Comment

I'm not necessarily concerned about adding the architecture to Debian, but I would expect to see a reasonable loongarch device available to those outside of China if any sort of widespread support is expected (I know I would get one at least with which to experiment).

Comment

Originally posted by JMB9 View Post
                There are really honorable people in every country ... so such branding to countrie is just ill and stupid ... dogs of war ...
                Well that's not entirely true. As a German I can tell you that the majority of Germans during Nazi time where people like you and me. Basically it is the generation of my grandparents and grand grandparents. But they have empored people with less nice personalities. So I see danger in people like Putin, Erdogan, Trump...and if they stay long enough in power they also suppress there own people. Its naive to think China is as bad as US or vice versa. US till now has a working democracy albeit trump has almost changed the political landscape from populism to authoritarian.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                  If they have any intention to compete with ARM, AMD64 or RISC-V
                  That is not the (primary) goal of Loongson.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
                    China is only officially supporting Deepin/UOS and Kylin, though. And yes, both of them go back to Debian underneath, but they could've added support without Debian, too. So I don't see the real benefit here, unless they want to start selling LoongArch in other countries.

Comment

Working...
                    X