Devuan 5.0 Released For Debian 12 Without systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by creative View Post
    Sometimes it can be difficult to interpret post on here.
    np - and yeah, I can tell it was a little too opaque to have landed.

What I was saying is that since the stop job bug is a systemd problem, just not using systemd means it doesn't happen at all.
    Whether you have *other* reasons for wanting to move away from systemd or not, the fact that you did caused that particular bug to cease to exist anyway.

Comment

I used and wrote init scripts in the past and had poor experience with them in every regard. They felt like inadequate legacy technology in 2001 to me.

systemd is pretty amazing: simple, powerful and robust. Solves service dependency and start order management, process management and persistence, resource allocation, monitoring and logging, and more for you. systemd timers also made cron and anacron obsolete for me.

systemd license is GPL. An argument often used to justify support for anti-user GNOME desktop - it is the only decent GPL desktop in town.

I find systemd criticism petty, unreasonable and intellectually dishonest.

Last edited by max0x7ba; 23 August 2023, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by max0x7ba View Post
        I used init scripts in the past and had poor experience with them in every regard.
        systemd is pretty amazing: simple, powerful and robust. systemd timers also made cron and anacron obsolete for me.

I find systemd criticism petty, unreasonable and intellectually dishonest.

You call it petty, I call it fastidious. Especially after realizing at least in my use case it has poor process supervision.

OBTW, you are posting in a thread concerning the subject of people wanting to move away from it.

You clearly crossed boundaries to proselytize for it.
        Last edited by creative; 23 August 2023, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
          You call it petty, I call it fastidious. Especially after realizing at least in my use case it has poor process supervision.
          Unclear what "it" refers to, I assume "init scripts".

​OBTW, you are posting in a thread concerning the subject of people wanting to move away from it.
          You clearly crossed boundaries to proselytize for it.
          Just sharing my 1st hand experience. Wasn't aware such boundaries existed. I take it as a compliment for going beyond someone's limiting beliefs.
          Last edited by max0x7ba; 23 August 2023, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
            if systemd somehow dies the alternative is kubernetes, not sysvinit.
            Kubernetes and systemd solve different problems. What prompted you to say that kubernetes is an alternative to systemd?

Comment

Working...
            X