Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devuan 5.0 Released For Debian 12 Without systemd

Phoronix: Devuan 5.0 Released For Debian 12 Without systemd

Devuan is still alive and well for those wanting to run Debian GNU/Linux but without systemd. Devuan 5.0 is out today as the newest distro release that is now rebased atop Debian 12 Bookworm...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ok - repeat after me: "The Unix Philosophy is SysVInit, not InitRC"...

As in inittab, the equivalent of fstab. It never was those hundreds of shell scripts in /etc/rc.d. It was just a file with a comma separated list of programs to run (usually /sbin/login).

Comment

Great! This is my good-to-go distro Linux for Desktop, not a single issue, snappy, and balanced. Runit as default init system!

Comment

I am not using Devuan, but Debian and Arch. Nonetheless, I thank them for their efforts to maintain an alternative without systemd. It is like an insurance to me. It is a clear statement to the companies having a lot of influence on systemd development not to abuse their power and force things upon users.

Devuan makes chosing Debian even more attractive, knowing there is a fallback, just in case. Thanks!
        Last edited by Joe2021; 15 August 2023, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Oh awesome - rootless startx, finally! Lack of rootless startx is why I quit using it. And there's a great Devuan derivative that I love that only allows free software called GNUinOS, I'm looking forward to reinstalling it.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe2021 View Post
            I am not using Devuan, but Debian and Arch. Nonetheless, I thank them for their efforts to maintain an alternative without systemd. It is like an insurance to me. It is a clear statement to the companies having a lot of influence on systemd development not to abuse their power and force things upon users.

Devuan makes chosing Debian even more attractive, knowing there is a fallback, just in case. Thanks!
            I assure you the companies don’t give a shit. The only non systemd use case that’s cared about is containers.

if systemd somehow dies the alternative is kubernetes, not sysvinit.
            Last edited by Britoid; 15 August 2023, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Wait, X supports libseat, when did that happen? Or did the devuan folks patch it in? Have to check it out.

Edit: They patched it in. Interesting...
              Last edited by Gusar; 15 August 2023, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                Wait, what?

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I assure you the companies don’t give a shit. The only non systemd use case that’s cared about is containers.

Well, I do give a shit. I will switch to Devuan, if Debian/Systemd becomes unacceptable to me. This is what freedom is all about, being independet, not having a vendor lock-in.

Comment

Good! All power to them. I like systemd on my Arch and my servers (mostly also Arch, some Ubuntu). But I want options and systemd is potentially dangerous. I remember all the ridicule the Devuan devs received when it was conceived. They delivered, all the haters should eat sh*t now. I guess that's too much to hope for though.

Comment

Working...
                    X