Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Fedora Spins Eye Going X.Org-less

Phoronix: Two Fedora Spins Eye Going X.Org-less

The Fedora Sericea and Sway spins are eyeing the possibility of shipping without the xorg-x11 packages for being the first X.Org-less desktop spins in the Fedora Linux world...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Doesn't surprise me.

Fedora is the macOS of Linux distros in the "Apple hardware is infamous for only running the System/Mac OS/macOS version that was current at the time it released and not one point release earlier, and Apple makes 'Win64 drops support for Win16 binaries' transitions much more frequently" sense of the comparison.​

(To clarify the comparison for people not familiar with the Mac timeline, I accept that stuff designed for System 6 and below may sometimes have too much of a DOS-ish obsession with Hyrum's Law to work on Mac OS 9, but Classic Environment for running pre-OSX binaries only lasted until Mac OS X 10.5, and Rosetta for PPC→x86 was optional in 10.6 and support was removed in 10.7... and that's with Rosetta never having supported any kind of "PPC system extension on x86 OSes" stuff in the first place, which removes the most justifiable reason to drop it quickly. It makes me wonder how much of an accelerated timeline they have for dropping support for Intel binaries on Apple silicon.)
    Last edited by ssokolow; 23 June 2023, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Firefox is also working towards Wayland and X only builds https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1833855, hoping for more distros and apps to start supporting Wayland only build, Steam will always a odd one with 32bit and no wayland support. Xorg users can still use Xorg-only build without wayland if they want

Comment

At the end of the day if they want wayland to succeed then the best way to do it is dump x11 and respond quickly to the flood of bug reports that follows.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
          Doesn't surprise me.
          Fedora is the macOS of Linux distros in the "Apple hardware is infamous for only running the System/Mac OS/macOS version that was current at the time it released and not one point release earlier, and Apple makes 'Win64 drops support for Win16 binaries' transitions much more frequently" sense of the comparison.​
          (To clarify the comparison for people not familiar with the Mac timeline, I accept that stuff designed for System 6 and below may sometimes have too much of a DOS-ish obsession with Hyrum's Law to work on Mac OS 9, but Classic Environment for running pre-OSX binaries only lasted until Mac OS X 10.5, and Rosetta for PPC→x86 was optional in 10.6 and support was removed in 10.7... and that's with Rosetta never having supported any kind of "PPC system extension on x86 OSes" stuff in the first place, which removes the most justifiable reason to drop it quickly. It makes me wonder how much of an accelerated timeline they have for dropping support for Intel binaries on Apple silicon.)
          why not replace your geforce GTX750 with a Vega56 ?? its much faster and you get bug-free wayland experience.

as other people did make clear Rosetta1.0 was only dopped so fast from MACOS 10.7 because APPLE paid license payment to the company who developed Rosetta1.0 and they did cut this cost. but Rosetta2.0 is developed in-house at apple this means apple will not drop it as you claim they will do.

the reason why fedora is quick in dropping x11 is very simple Xorg/x11 is a security hole and wayland is a security fix.

the vega56 is on ebay for 125€ its really not that much to fix your wayland problem.
          Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

I don't understand the moaning. Isn't one upside of the few Linux fragmentation upsidea that everyone can find his flavour? You have the close to top noch arch like linuxi but also the we hate systemd Devuan etc.

Comment

Nice, I look forward to the legacy-free future without X11!

Comment

Sway is already Wayland only. This doesn't change much other than having the greeter itself, SDDM, running on Wayland instead of X.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
                  I don't understand the moaning. Isn't one upside of the few Linux fragmentation upsidea that everyone can find his flavour? You have the close to top noch arch like linuxi but also the we hate systemd Devuan etc.
                  i tell people that the fragmentation goes down not up... yes there are all these flavours you are right but all these flavours have very low marketshare means they play no role in the bigger market.

how many people use Devuan ?... in reality there are only 4-5 relevant linux distros... Debian/ubuntu and Fedora/Redhatlinux and Arch linux...

and if you count the basics like systemD all of them run SystemD... all of them run Wayland...

and even snap is doomed outside of ubuntu no one use snaps... means flatpak already won.
                  Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                    Doesn't surprise me.

In what way exactly? Just cause Xorg wouldnt be available? They dont mention removing xwayland so you'll still be able to run your x11 only programs so its just removing a package that wouldnt be needed for these specific spins. If you installed Arch with a wayland sddm and sway i would also expect to not see Xorg pulled in

Comment

Working...
                    X