Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CentOS Stream 10 Starting To Get Underway, More Activity In 2024

Phoronix: CentOS Stream 10 Starting To Get Underway, More Activity In 2024

Some Fedora Enterprise Linux Next (ELN) plans were shared on Friday with the process of launching CentOS Stream 10 getting underway that will ultimately form the basis of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 10...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Dead distro don't care

Comment

CentOS was dead the moment they announced Stream. At this point I really don't understand anyone who's still working on this, even for money. In that case, just work on RHEL instead, instead of pretending CentOS is something it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
        In that case, just work on RHEL instead
        That's exactly what CentOS Stream is.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
          CentOS was dead the moment they announced Stream. At this point I really don't understand anyone who's still working on this, even for money. In that case, just work on RHEL instead, instead of pretending CentOS is something it isn't.
          That's literally what they're doing by working on CentOS. What happens in Fedora goes into Cent. What happens in Cent goes into RHEL. Tiered levels of testing, each with varying levels of change and experimentation, until RHEL actual is decided upon. From that perspective, you're better off guiding Fedora into Cent and Cent into RHEL if you want to make meaningful changes to the RHEL experience. Not to denigrate anyone, but by the time it all trickles down to RHEL it's more about maintaining security and stability patches than it is changing the default desktop environment, audio subsystem, or even packages installed by default.

Comment

Any news about btrfs support? wish they change their mind one day and start supporting it in RHEL.

PS: please don't start the usual trolling about btrfs eating filesystem, ZFS being better and so on. Today is a sunny day and I'd like to stay outside insted of being here reading BS
            Last edited by cynic; 17 June 2023, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
              Any news about btrfs support? wish they change their mind one day and start supporting it in RHEL.

PS: please don't start the usual trolling about btrfs eating filesystem, ZFS being better and so on. Today is a sunny day and I'd like to stay outside insted of being here reading BS
              I'd expect Stratis over anything else since it glues together all their existing technologies and its what they've been working on.

What? You said it, not me

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I'd expect Stratis over anything else since it glues together all their existing technologies and its what they've been working on.

You are correct. RH isn’t going to work on btrfs. They’re working on stratis, using xfs underneath.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Yes, but I cited it as a troll argument. And guess what? You just made it evident ;-)

Comment

Hold up, I am so confused.

I thought Cent OS was Red Hat with the RH branding stripped off but bit for bit binary compatible,

Then i thought Cent OS was EOL, a dead project.

But now this says that Cent OS "Stream" becomes Red Hat?!?

I thought Fedora becomes RH after enough suckers have field tested it to find most of the bugs.

Comment

Working...
                    X