Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

run disk I/O benchmarks, see more below

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

No, this is not a VM, this is API translation, similar to Wine. So, this is Linux running on bare metal except that it's using Windows drivers and file system.
    this is very wrong, so very wrong​

Originally posted by nox86 View Post
    I wonder why WSL2 feels like shit?
    I'm using it pretty standard with docker IntelliJ Idea, and it feel like garbage - slow and unresponsive.

disk I/O is complete and utter trash. nearly unusable levels in some cases.

image.pngimage.png
    Last edited by Quackdoc; 26 April 2023, 05:02 PM.

Comment

WSL 1.0 is a mix with emulation like Wine and a virtual machine using hypervisor processor instructions. It can help people needing Linux mechanism on a Windows system ... on a physical host.

What if Windows is running in a virtual machine inside a datacenter ?
      This question is centric for developpers who are supposed working on VDI. In fact, the best and unique solution today, is to use a Linux VDI for docker / kubernetes stuff. But IT managers are not prepared to switch to Linux because of partner/financial agreements or resistance to change. My little finger told me Linux workstation is being more and more used for developpers.

It's a good thing for Linux workstation democratisation because of Microsoft strategy for Win12 / Azure we can guess easily : full cloud workstation with subscription. You won't be able to access to all the computer capacities if you don't subscribe to Azure !

It's a huge subject, but Win12 is not deployed yet. There are few months before being trapped, and it's now we must think about a real and effective Microsoft alternative. In return, you are obliged to be able to fully control your IT.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

No, this is not a VM, this is API translation, similar to Wine. So, this is Linux running on bare metal except that it's using Windows drivers and file system.
        You are wrong in two ways. First, you speak about the old WSL1, WSL2 is a Linux VM running in Hyper-V. Two, Its not a API translation, it is a kernel subsystem in the same way Win32 works on Windows NT, by a subsystem layer on top of the kernel. You could rather say NT masking as a Linux kernel because thats more like it. Not a userland API layer like Wine.

Comment

Originally posted by nox86 View Post
          I wonder why WSL2 feels like shit?
          I'm using it pretty standard with docker IntelliJ Idea, and it feel like garbage - slow and unresponsive.
          Dunno, maybe use it on a recent computer instead of a potato?

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
            run disk I/O benchmarks, see more below

this is very wrong, so very wrong​

disk I/O is complete and utter trash. nearly unusable levels in some cases.

image.pngimage.png
            These results are invalid for a specific reason:

You basically benchmark a network mapped storage there. (Plus a horrible driver used for this)
            Redo this benchmark using the wsl2 native filesystem instead.

Yes, using wsl2 to access windows files should be better, but its really bad right now.

Comment

Originally posted by oskar-n View Post

That was WSL 1, WSL 2 is a version of Hyper-V.
              https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...mpare-versions
              Oh, thanks for the correction regarding WSL 2. So you get two kernels running on the system. What a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by ViSU View Post

These results are invalid for a specific reason:

You basically benchmark a network mapped storage there. (Plus a horrible driver used for this)
                Redo this benchmark using the wsl2 native filesystem instead.

Yes, using wsl2 to access windows files should be better, but its really bad right now.
                no. because using the network storage is a very common usecase. this is a very valid and common usecase. and is one that I myself and many others use.

Comment

I wonder how phoronix finds time to waste on this nonsense... no, honestly, who would care? If I cared about what is on Windows then I'd not give a toss about open source.
                  This does not even qualify for a curiosities-shelf - do not get me wrong, lots Phoronix do is top-notch stuff, the reason I paid premium - rather instead is redundant.

Comment

Michael I'm interested to know how is the I/O performance when user tries to access files from Windows <-> WSL2 (in and out). In my experience, there is a huge drop compared to BOTH native Windows NTFS and WSL2 EXT3 filesystems!

Comment

Originally posted by lejeczek View Post
                      I wonder how phoronix finds time to waste on this nonsense... no, honestly, who would care? If I cared about what is on Windows then I'd not give a toss about open source.
                      This does not even qualify for a curiosities-shelf - do not get me wrong, lots Phoronix do is top-notch stuff, the reason I paid premium - rather instead is redundant.
                      phoronix is a news website not a foss shilling website. loads of people, myself included use both WSL2 and native linux. loads of people use WSL2. just because it's trash for you doesn't mean it's trash for everyone

Comment

Working...
                      X