X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lufusol
    replied
    Originally posted by user556 View Post
    What might be more interesting there is that Ubuntu 23.04 consistently trails behind 22.04. Albeit, only a small amount.
    That was explained in the article immediately underneath those graphs
    -luf

Leave a comment:

• danger
    replied
    Originally posted by nox86 View Post

To me MS fixed perf test result but it lags as hell on daily dev routines. You not going to setup 24/7 server on WSL Win, right?
    I have the exactly same environment set up on my Thinkpad T14 Gen2 AMD laptop in Ubuntu WSL2 and Fedora on the bare metal. Zsh shell with p10k. For a test of responsiveness I simply press and hold a J key in zsh. WSL2 stutters like crazy. Fedora on the bare metal - smooth as butter. It doesn't depend on the terminal app: Windows Terminal, alacritty, wezterm - the result is the same. If I unplug the laptop (balanced profile), WSL2 becomes even worse. I don't need to run any performance tests, I can see it with my naked eye. I can't use WSL2 for my dev work when something as simple as a keyboard input has a this very noticible and annoying lag.

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by lejeczek View Post

Oh.. child, so easily triggered - have you not gone through the roof already - trash, shilling... it's obvious too that you have very little understanding of what Phoronix. is.. but don't let it spoil your afternoon/evening.
    why is it that whenever people on the internet hear an opinion contrary to theirs they assume they are triggered? grow up.

Leave a comment:

• user556
    replied
    What might be more interesting there is that Ubuntu 23.04 consistently trails behind 22.04. Albeit, only a small amount.

Leave a comment:

• lejeczek
    replied
    Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

phoronix is a news website not a foss shilling website. loads of people, myself included use both WSL2 and native linux. loads of people use WSL2. just because it's trash for you doesn't mean it's trash for everyone
    Oh.. child, so easily triggered - have you not gone through the roof already - trash, shilling... it's obvious too that you have very little understanding of what Phoronix. is.. but don't let it spoil your afternoon/evening.
    Last edited by lejeczek; 29 April 2023, 09:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by lejeczek View Post
    I wonder how phoronix finds time to waste on this nonsense... no, honestly, who would care? If I cared about what is on Windows then I'd not give a toss about open source.
    This does not even qualify for a curiosities-shelf - do not get me wrong, lots Phoronix do is top-notch stuff, the reason I paid premium - rather instead is redundant.
    phoronix is a news website not a foss shilling website. loads of people, myself included use both WSL2 and native linux. loads of people use WSL2. just because it's trash for you doesn't mean it's trash for everyone

Leave a comment:

• reza
    replied
    Michael I'm interested to know how is the I/O performance when user tries to access files from Windows <-> WSL2 (in and out). In my experience, there is a huge drop compared to BOTH native Windows NTFS and WSL2 EXT3 filesystems!

Leave a comment:

• lejeczek
    replied
    I wonder how phoronix finds time to waste on this nonsense... no, honestly, who would care? If I cared about what is on Windows then I'd not give a toss about open source.
    This does not even qualify for a curiosities-shelf - do not get me wrong, lots Phoronix do is top-notch stuff, the reason I paid premium - rather instead is redundant.

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by ViSU View Post

These results are invalid for a specific reason:

You basically benchmark a network mapped storage there. (Plus a horrible driver used for this)
    Redo this benchmark using the wsl2 native filesystem instead.

Yes, using wsl2 to access windows files should be better, but its really bad right now.
    no. because using the network storage is a very common usecase. this is a very valid and common usecase. and is one that I myself and many others use.

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied
    Originally posted by oskar-n View Post

That was WSL 1, WSL 2 is a version of Hyper-V.
    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...mpare-versions
    Oh, thanks for the correction regarding WSL 2. So you get two kernels running on the system. What a mess.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X