Windows 11 WSL2 Performance vs. Ubuntu Linux With The AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 11 WSL2 Performance vs. Ubuntu Linux With The AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Phoronix: Windows 11 WSL2 Performance vs. Ubuntu Linux With The AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D

When carrying out the recent Windows 11 vs. Ubuntu 23.04 benchmarks with the AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D Zen 4 3D V-Cache desktop processor, I also took the opportunity with the Windows 11 install around to check in on the Windows 11 WSL2 performance. Here is a fresh look at Ubuntu with Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL2 on Windows 11) compared to the bare metal performance of Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on the same hardware as well as the new Ubuntu 23.04.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very interesting. Seems like they finally fixed it...but that memcached result really surprised me. What is going on there?

Comment

It's Linux vs Linux in virtual machine.

Comment

I suspect these tests are using the mapped storage from the host too.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
          It's Linux vs Linux in virtual machine.
          No, this is not a VM, this is API translation, similar to Wine. So, this is Linux running on bare metal except that it's using Windows drivers and file system.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

No, this is not a VM, this is API translation, similar to Wine. So, this is Linux running on bare metal except that it's using Windows drivers and file system.
            That was WSL 1, WSL 2 is a version of Hyper-V.
            WSL 2 provides the benefits of WSL 1, but uses an actual Linux kernel, rather than a translation layer like WSL 1, resulting in faster performance.

Comment

WSL 2 is running as a hyper-v virtual machine. This is a change from the bridged network adapter used in WSL 1, meaning that WSL 2 uses a Network Address Translation (NAT) service for it's virtual network, instead of making it bridged to the host Network Interface Card (NIC) resulting in a unique IP address that will change on restart.

(Same link as above)

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

Still pretty impressive.

Comment

I wonder why WSL2 feels like shit?
                  I'm using it pretty standard with docker IntelliJ Idea, and it feel like garbage - slow and unresponsive.

Comment

Originally posted by lamka02sk View Post
                    Very interesting. Seems like they finally fixed it...but that memcached result really surprised me. What is going on there?
                    To me MS fixed perf test result but it lags as hell on daily dev routines. You not going to setup 24/7 server on WSL Win, right?

Comment

Working...
                    X