Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 23.04 Desktop's New Installer Set To Ship Without OpenZFS Install Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 23.04 Desktop's New Installer Set To Ship Without OpenZFS Install Support

Phoronix: Ubuntu 23.04 Desktop's New Installer Set To Ship Without OpenZFS Install Support

It was just four years ago in Ubuntu 19.10 that Ubuntu's desktop installer added OpenZFS support for carrying out root file-system installations atop this ZFS file-system. Since then the Canonical/Ubuntu interest has waned. Ahead of the Ubuntu 23.04 release this week, I tried out the Ubuntu Lunar Lobster daily snapshot this weekend to find the OpenZFS install support with Ubuntu's new desktop installer to still be missing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

the 'easiest' way is to get it is to install the LTS version and upgrade it to the lobster

Comment

while I do believe that flutter is probably the best UI kit for not only cross platform applications, but more importantly here, good desktop and mobile formfactors as well as touch and keyboard support. the fact that it has google analytics by default is extremely disappointing. it is trivial to opt out, and is shown on the installation page. I would much rather it opt-in

Comment

from simpsons-nelson: "ha-ha"

new feature from ubuntu: shiny-remove. (zfs)

Comment

And so one of the last advantages of ubuntu diminishes... Time to crossgrade to debian (Which I've done last weekend). Btw, installing debian with zfs as / (and even /boot) is possible from the LiveCD media: https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-do...0on%20ZFS.html . I've already done several times.

Comment

Anyone know where we could make our voice heard to request this back in time for the next LTS. Just went through a Ubuntu server install with ZFS root and I would love to not have to do this manually next time (desktop or server)!

Comment

I feel like ZFS on root is not that important anyway.. have a boot drive on ext4 and attach actual storage as ZFS, that's how I'd do it.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
                I feel like ZFS on root is not that important anyway.. have a boot drive on ext4 and attach actual storage as ZFS, that's how I'd do it.
                That's how I do do it. I just feel happier with a slightly more mature filesystem implementation for root (I like XFS too, but usually stick to ext4 on Debian distros for some reason. Habit?)

Comment

If someone wants zfs root on Ubuntu (or any other distro) and can boot with EFI I highly recommend zfsbootmenu. Native zfs root booting and recovery without hacking grub with zsys and needing a separate boot pool.

For Ubuntu https://docs.zfsbootmenu.org/en/late...untu/uefi.html

Comment

This may not sound relevant to the discussion (but seems so currently in my investigation). GOG game installers, (each binary file of 4gb, downloading to ext4 on latest packaged Linux & on NTFS in Windows), I find after about 4 files (16gb-ish) will start becoming corrupted (almost respectively from 1st to last as I proceed). It has seemed to me that the filesystem does not recognise these binary files of the installer as coherent streams of data, I guess the question I suppose is, will ZFS resolve this issue?

Comment

Working...
                    X