Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 22.10 Released With GNOME 43 Desktop, Raspberry Pi Improvements, PipeWire Audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 22.10 Released With GNOME 43 Desktop, Raspberry Pi Improvements, PipeWire Audio

Phoronix: Ubuntu 22.10 Released With GNOME 43 Desktop, Raspberry Pi Improvements, PipeWire Audio

Canonical has formally released Ubuntu 22.10 "Kinetic Kudu" as the latest six-month, non-LTS update to Ubuntu Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And another program falls to Snap

Comment

Upgraded yesterday and didn't encounter any problems (apart from the usual GNOME extensions not yet compatible).

Comment

Nobody seems to talk about the fact that this is probably the start of the end of pulseaudios development.

Comment

They still haven't made Steam Snap exclusive though.
          I think I already talked about it some time ago, but I thought I'd share again what I think about the future of Snap in Ubuntu:

An optimistic scenario is that Canonical has already stopped making apps Snap exclusive with Chromium and Firefox. The reason to believe in such scenario is the fact that Chromium and Firefox .debs were probably the only ones that weren't derived from debian (these 2 .debs were made by Canonical itself), hence the reason these 2 browsers are now Snap exclusive. Since all other .deb packages in Ubuntu are derived from debian, there is no reason to think they'll become Snap exclusive.

On the other hand, there is also a pessimistic scenario which involves the removal of the remaining i386 packages. Remember when Canonical wanted to remove ALL i386 packages in 2019, but after backlash decided to keep the few important ones, mainly for Steam and Wine? Well, since there's now Steam as a Snap, it may give Canonical a reason to remove the remaining i386 packages, including Steam.
          Last edited by user1; 20 October 2022, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Awesome to see Unity again. Unity and KDE 3.5 were the desktop environments that I've been the most productive in. I have not used either in many years.

As for snap... I've been using snap for a few months. I find the CLI confusing but the application support is good so far. Slack broke on flatpack a few times but has not failed on snap yet. Other apps seem to work really well including Firefox. The restart after update notifications under Kubuntu can be annoying but should not be difficult to improve.

I do however feel dirty every time I use snap. It's the same feeling as switching to macOS... macOS as good support for most applications, time machine works very well, airplay is awesome and easy to use... but I feel dirty after using it. I wonder who's the target audience for snap in this regard? Apple users coming back to Linux? Other users who just do not give a ***** about licensing and not care about being dependent on a company making choices for them? Corporate users? (honest question). Look at the amount of **** Apple's "App Store" has gone through. Who would want the same thing for Linux?

PS: I like the new name. Kudus are awesome animals with a ton of kinetic energy!

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
              They still haven't made Steam Snap exclusive though.
              I think I already talked about it some time ago, but I thought I'd share again what I think about the future of Snap in Ubuntu:

An optimistic scenario is that Canonical has already stopped making apps Snap exclusive with Chromium and Firefox. The reason to believe in such scenario is the fact that Chromium and Firefox .debs were probably the only ones that weren't derived from debian (these 2 .debs were made by Canonical itself), hence the reason these 2 browsers are now Snap exclusive. Since all other .deb packages in Ubuntu are derived from debian, there is no reason to think they'll become Snap exclusive.

On the other hand, there is also a pessimistic scenario which involves the removal of the remaining i386 packages. Remember when Canonical wanted to remove ALL i386 packages in 2019, but after backlash decided to keep the few important ones, mainly for Steam and Wine? Well, since there's now Steam as a Snap, it may give Canonical a reason to remove the remaining i386 packages, including Steam.
              Indeed it looks like llvm 15 is no longer buildable on i386 on jammy, no idea if that's just temporary or definitive.

Anyway kinetic is a very smooth release for me, many new features and no regression of any kind.

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                Indeed it looks like llvm 15 is no longer buildable on i386 on jammy, no idea if that's just temporary or definitive.
                That's probably a different issue. What I meant is that Canonical will probably want to remove the remaining i386 packages in the future. The latest Ubuntu releases should still have the same i386 packages as they did since 19.10 release.

Comment

Anything I should know about transitioning to PipeWire?

Comment

Originally posted by down1 View Post
                    Anything I should know about transitioning to PipeWire?
                    Yes, for end users the transition is so dangerous and earthshaking as a squirrel farting in the forest.

Comment

Working...
                    X