Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    So you basically admitted defeat?

Some of us have stuff to do and get shit done, not fight with some new shiny fucking thing that broke something and need to workaround it or wait for a fix.

Using containers is literally cheating and proving the point. If your updates didn't break shit you wouldn't need containers in the first place. If all your software is ran in containers, at that point why even update?
    You may wish to read more and write less.

Comment

My university study suggests that never updating stuff unless forced is one of the ways you end up with legacy systems. The IT system and its environment and context can't evolve together, and as things constantly change and demands change, the system becomes unsuitable over time, and harder to maintain.

Not updating seems old school to me, but I'm not a system manager for any systems except my own - others are more qualified. I don't like to move fast on production systems, but I do do all security updates and test things thoroughly first before anything major. On systems that are for fun and don't matter, I try all sorts of crazy things to learn new things.

I won't always get new feature releases, but I always do security updates.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        .Anyhoo, on the 20 year old XP machine we have to use Firefox ESR 52. That's the only one that works on XP everywhere they go to.

Chrome will work for some things, but every day more and more things won't work. It's launched with some command line flags to get it to use TLS 1.1 or 1.0...unsafe shit. Amazon won't even let them return an item with their version of Chrome.
        I use Serpent for that purpose (a derivative of Basilisk, itself from Firefox 52 ESR). And for things which don't work, Mypal 68 with layout.css.resizeobserver.enabled set to true in about:config (it was only officially enabled in Firefox 69), and probably some other config switches. MyPal is at its base a better browser (multithreaded content processes, for a start, and generally a more modern base), but has its own issues and is not as regular with updates.

Comment

One thing I found when actually trying to enable this on my Oracle VMs: "ESM Apps is not available for platform arm64." Seems like others ran into this issue.

So yes, universe/multiverse is supported, but only on x86[-64]. This seems a little odd considering how popular such servers are likely to be going forwards. Yes, 18.04 LTS was the first to support it and is still in support, but there's the universe packages to consider too - like Docker.

Of course, it's a bit churlish quibbling over extra security support I'd be getting for free, too!

Comment

Working...
          X