X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post
    All my software runs inside containers
    So you basically admitted defeat?

Some of us have stuff to do and get shit done, not fight with some new shiny fucking thing that broke something and need to workaround it or wait for a fix.

Using containers is literally cheating and proving the point. If your updates didn't break shit you wouldn't need containers in the first place. If all your software is ran in containers, at that point why even update?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Funny you say that. I have some friends, a husband and wife, that refuse to retire their old PCs. Their strategy is when one gets full they'll buy a new one and attach it to a KVM switch. They currently have three PCs. A 20 year old Windows XP, a 10 year old Windows 7, and, because I'm tired of fucking with old stuff, a TPM-less 11 (Thank God for Rufus) that's on my desk and I finished getting it set up for them last night. When they bought it it came with 10 but it came with a piece of shit Intel Celeron machine released in 2022 that didn't have TPM support at all (neither 1.2 or 2.0).

All they saw was 2022 and Intel so they assumed they'd be covered when they bought their mini PC on Amazon. A bad automatic update on 10 broke it so I got called to fix it.

Fucking Intel. Shit like that is why we're losing confidence with your products. Be like AMD and have some minimal standards with your consumer products so we know we're not getting screwed over. It's very frustrating to work with 2022 hardware and then realize it might as well be 2016 hardware.

Anyhoo, on the 20 year old XP machine we have to use Firefox ESR 52. That's the only one that works on XP everywhere they go to.

Chrome will work for some things, but every day more and more things won't work. It's launched with some command line flags to get it to use TLS 1.1 or 1.0...unsafe shit. Amazon won't even let them return an item with their version of Chrome.

And, for whatever reason, the Windows XP machine is their go-to PC for doing anything. It sucks. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't tempted to jam a screwdriver in it and bridge shit on the motherboard until it shorts out.
      At least your friends are voluntarily using old PCs. At my workplace, we have equipment whose software was homologated to work with Windows 2000. This is very expensive stuff that is working fine, and nobody here will spend 6 figures for a newer one, just to say they are on Windows 11. I'm preparing myself to do the dance and find a way for that stuff to work on more modern PCs, maybe inside a VM, once the supply of older PCs we have dry up.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post

Some of us have stuff to do and get shit done, not fight with some new shiny fucking thing that broke something and need to workaround it or wait for a fix.

Using containers is literally cheating and proving the point. If your updates didn't break shit you wouldn't need containers in the first place. If all your software is ran in containers, at that point why even update?
        Depends on how you look at it. Containers allow you to have an LTS stack on a rolling base. Thanks to tools like Distrobox you can use MicroOS or Silverblue as the Host and Ubuntu 18.04 or Arch as your Container allowing you to set up a production environment that supports multiple build targets. You just get your containers setup for whatever you're doing and then you don't have to worry about OS updates corrupting your workflow. You also get to test out OS updates on your workflow in a new container without having to worry about losing your setup. You get to have your cake and eat it too. I really hate that phrase because the whole point of a cake is eating it.

Personally, I'm very tempted to switch to SUSE's MicroOS because I really like that style of doing things once it's up and running. If you've ever been bitten in the ass by rolling release, an immutable rolling release with a container based workflow is a very nice compromise. The only thing I'm unsure of is if their transactional-update tool allows doing system updates while keeping any additional programs I install to the root...AFAICT, just OpenZFS.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Oh, my child... The day you find yourself responsible for the IT part of a company, with a boss breathing fire on your neck, you will realize how naive you once was.
          Whereas I understand you are coming from (15 years+ experience managing a bunch of systems) - You should never use a 10 years old OS. Ever.

Finding yourself in this position means one of three things, either your department is understaffed, you are on a shoe string budget, or (hate to say this out loud) your team is l*zy.

Comment

Originally posted by xhustler View Post

Whereas I understand you are coming from (15 years+ experience managing a bunch of systems) - You should never use a 10 years old OS. Ever.

Finding yourself in this position means one of three things, either your department is understaffed, you are on a shoe string budget, or (hate to say this out loud) your team is l*zy.
            While I don't disagree with your premise, I think in your 15 years of experience, you didn't saw all the ways a computer is used. Not everyone is facing the internet, nor had the luxury of spontaneously​ breaking because of a random update, that didn't affect its primary function. At my workplace, there is a lot of computers whose only function is to interact with a equipment and extract data from it. It makes no difference whatsoever, if you use Windows 2000 or Windows 11.

I can see why some find outrageous that older tech is still in use, but not everybody is in dire need of cutting edge tech. Some of us just want a stable working environment, better described as "if it is not broke, don't fix it", itself a nice advice that some software developers could have used.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post

Lol that is *not* what containers are for, at least not if you are using them correctly. We use containers primarily for resource isolation and dynamic scaling (most things run in kubernetes).

Why update? OS level security fixes, new kernel versions, not paying a company like canonical a pile of money to support a 10 year old distribution?

Furthermore, Docker containers came out in 2013. It is hardly "new shiny" tech at this point. As long as your distribution isn't 10 years old, it likely comes with support out of the box.
              ​​

Comment

Originally posted by xhustler View Post

Ok, so I have a company that delivers a service (due to legal reasons they are the only one in the world that can deliver this service) but the closed source software that they distribute that you have to run on your premises are supported for RHEL4 only (the company that they outsourced the development of this software is long gone).

Now please advise me what to do in order to still use this service of theirs and also not break this new regulation of "you should never use a 10 years old OS. Ever". My department is not understaffed, I'm not operating on a shoe string budget and my team is not lazy so by all means come up with a workable solution here or realize that such blatant rules does not exist.

Lol that is *not* what containers are for, at least not if you are using them correctly. We use containers primarily for resource isolation and dynamic scaling (most things run in kubernetes).

Why update? OS level security fixes, new kernel versions, not paying a company like canonical a pile of money to support a 10 year old distribution?

Furthermore, Docker containers came out in 2013. It is hardly "new shiny" tech at this point. As long as your distribution isn't 10 years old, it likely comes with support out of the box.
                ​​

What he means is that at some point in the future some of those containers will be 10y+ old, running them on the newest and shiniest OS won't change the fact that all the dependencies are still using 10y+ old software so you have cheated yourself (aka the OS is not 10y old but the actual stuff that executes are).
                Last edited by F.Ultra; 06 October 2022, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Why do people always argue about other things instead of focusing on the topic? First, this is just a rebranding of ubuntu advantage, and the live patch make you became a white mouse.
                  Code:
                  tier: updates (Free usage; This machine beta tests new patches.)
                  😂​

Comment

​​
                    As F.Ultra said, if you run all software in containers of course you're "safe" of some breakage when you update the host, unless it breaks the container app itself, which is probably rare. What happens when you update your container (not Docker, but the container's image itself) and stuff doesn't work anymore? Revert to old one until it's fixed? Guess what, at that point you're literally just sitting on an "old distro" (the container's runtime), so please.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

I just wanted to check out if you are on the X11 train which is already 40y old and gets replaced by wayland because it is just some giant patchwork and is not really designed for modern requierements. Which is basically based on the same presumption by your comment. Outdated Systems.
                      I keep do not understand your statement. Someone is paying you to keep advertising I don't know what product? Someone is paying you to get me banned? You can easily see that it's the same.

Comment

Working...
                      X