Canonical Now Providing Free Ubuntu Pro Subscriptions For Up To 5 Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post
    At some non tech company, or some garbage "enterprise" java shop maybe, but not everywhere. This is one of many reasons why I won't ever work somewhere like this (or in IT, period)
    so, in the best case you're basically going to be unemployed.

in the other case, you'll spend 200% of your time chasing upgrades, chasing new bugs due to new sofware versions, hacking old software to run with deprecated libraries and giving tech support for continuosly moving targets.

oh, and of course you'll be accountable for why everything is always broken.

good luck and have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by nist View Post
      You should never use a 10 years old OS. Ever.
      do you prefer X11?

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

in the other case, you'll spend 200% of your time chasing upgrades, chasing new bugs due to new sofware versions, hacking old software to run with deprecated libraries and giving tech support for continuosly moving targets.

good luck and have fun!
        Use (at the very least) CI/CD, several linters, Renovate Bot with automerge, WhiteSource, Claire, etc. It's not easy-peasy but it will tremendously help fighting bitrot.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

do you prefer X11?
          I really do not understand your question. Can you explain it better?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I agree. Nobody should use Windows 8.

In all practicality that's really only true if you're a gamer playing the newest of games or a developer needing the newest features. People that use a program here and there just need an OS that runs the program and receives security updates. Outside of games I could get away with Ubuntu from 20 years ago if it was receiving security updates.
            Good luck with internet browsing with 20 years old Netscape with security updates

Comment

Originally posted by nist View Post

I really do not understand your question. Can you explain it better?
              I just wanted to check out if you are on the X11 train which is already 40y old and gets replaced by wayland because it is just some giant patchwork and is not really designed for modern requierements. Which is basically based on the same presumption by your comment. Outdated Systems.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

good luck and have fun!
                Wow, I'm sorry you have had such an awful work experience.

All my software runs inside containers, and is built via ci/cd pipelines with trivial dependency configuration. Everything runs with a 99.5% SLA. No one is "held accountable" when something breaks. There is a postmortem, action items turn into bug/issue reports and everyone moves on.

Oh, and I haven't been unemployed once in my 20 year career, outside of the sabbatical I took voluntarily.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
                  Why did they specifically say they cover CVEs from Python 2? What about 3?
                  Python 2 is no longer supported or maintained by PSF. So I assume canonical is offering out-of-tree patches.

Comment

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post

Wow, I'm sorry you have had such an awful work experience.

All my software runs inside containers, and is built via ci/cd pipelines with trivial dependency configuration. Everything runs with a 99.5% SLA. No one is "held accountable" when something breaks. There is a postmortem, action items turn into bug/issue reports and everyone moves on.

Oh, and I haven't been unemployed once in my 20 year career, outside of the sabbatical I took voluntarily.
                    not all the software we run in our company is written by us.
                    not all the software we run in our company is open source.

Comment

Originally posted by Leinad View Post

Good luck with internet browsing with 20 years old Netscape with security updates
                      Funny you say that. I have some friends, a husband and wife, that refuse to retire their old PCs. Their strategy is when one gets full they'll buy a new one and attach it to a KVM switch. They currently have three PCs. A 20 year old Windows XP, a 10 year old Windows 7, and, because I'm tired of fucking with old stuff, a TPM-less 11 (Thank God for Rufus) that's on my desk and I finished getting it set up for them last night. When they bought it it came with 10 but it came with a piece of shit Intel Celeron machine released in 2022 that didn't have TPM support at all (neither 1.2 or 2.0).

All they saw was 2022 and Intel so they assumed they'd be covered when they bought their mini PC on Amazon. A bad automatic update on 10 broke it so I got called to fix it.

Fucking Intel. Shit like that is why we're losing confidence with your products. Be like AMD and have some minimal standards with your consumer products so we know we're not getting screwed over. It's very frustrating to work with 2022 hardware and then realize it might as well be 2016 hardware.

Anyhoo, on the 20 year old XP machine we have to use Firefox ESR 52. That's the only one that works on XP everywhere they go to.

Chrome will work for some things, but every day more and more things won't work. It's launched with some command line flags to get it to use TLS 1.1 or 1.0...unsafe shit. Amazon won't even let them return an item with their version of Chrome.

And, for whatever reason, the Windows XP machine is their go-to PC for doing anything. It sucks. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't tempted to jam a screwdriver in it and bridge shit on the motherboard until it shorts out.
                      Last edited by skeevy420; 06 October 2022, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X