Raspberry Pi OS Updated With Desktop Improvements, NetworkManager, Picamera2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kneekoo View Post

- 20 MB is huge for a PC with 256-512 MB RAM. You can run a web server and more in those 20 MB.
    - GTK2 is indeed very old, but it does a good job
    Well, i can run a lot in my good old ZX Spectrum also and it only has 128K. It also does a good job and in that perspective 20Mb is the infinity (and beyond) ahahah
    (oh and it also has upgrades - zx spectrum next being the latest)

Regarding the great searchable menu feature, lxqt has it... well i think that it has it since the conversion to qt (not sure... too long to be sure...)

But all in all, it does consume less RAM, but... if you put it that way where 20Mb are important then the best option is definitely the terminal (no gui what so ever)!!! XD

Comment

Of course people can use the lite release if they want the most RAM available, but we're talking about desktop use cases - LXDE vs LXQt.

It just occurred to me that there's also plenty of literature that showcases LXDE and even teaches GUI programming in C, with GTK. So switching to another DE would require refreshing all the wikis, tutorials, updating a lot of books, their software utilities, etc. So they will likely use LXDE with GTK2 for quite a while longer.

P.S. Oof! I started programming on a ZX Spectrum clone. I'd love a ZX Spectrum Next, but the price is insane.

Comment

P.S. Oof! I started programming on a ZX Spectrum clone.
        Yeah, i've started programing on a Speccy also (not a clone, however). I have my good old 128k +2A back home... that was my first steps in programing!!! More than 30 Years.

How i miss those days......................

I'd love a ZX Spectrum Next, but the price is insane.
        Yeah, that thing ain't cheap and, in my opinion, a bit disappointing.
        I saw the idea being born and grow (even before it went kickstart) and, sad to say, i was truly hopping devs would have had a bit more vision and give us just what Pi400 gave us... that was what i wanted. It was years ahead Pi400 and it could have been much much better.

I really wanted and All-in-One... not just and outdated, expansive and mostly useless upgrade to ZX Spectrum...

well... there is a saying around here that says "God gives nuts to those who have no teeth"

Comment

Yeah... and I can equally say the Pi400 was disappointing for not having an 8GB version. I would've bought one in a heartbeat. But with how the browsers evolve (other software too, to be fair), I just won't touch the 4GB version. I have almost all the others, I have plenty of low-RAM Pis. So far they didn't come up with an update, so maybe they will add more RAM to the next All-in-One.

Comment

Working...
          X