Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft + Canonical Announce Native .NET 6 For Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Phoronix: Microsoft + Canonical Announce Native .NET 6 For Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

The latest partnership between Microsoft and Canonical is an announcement today of native .NET availability for Ubuntu 22.04 LTS hosts as well as containers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm actually surprised they offer it as a .deb package.

Comment

Canonical: Enemy of your freedom.

Comment

Why not snap? Make it a snap dammit so it can suck.

This is another evidence that M$ is paying Canonical to not make dotnet6 a failure if it was to be a snap, while typical enduser endures great suffering using snap software like Firefox.
        M$ took Unity from which was the last decent DE, https://liam-on-linux.dreamwidth.org/85359.html

Comment

Originally posted by binarybanana View Post
          Canonical: Enemy of your freedom.
          https://isdotnetopen.com/
          Is it just me, or Miguel de Icaza being appalled by Microsoft's actions surrounding .NET is kind of hilarious? I mean, what did they expect?
          Last edited by Apteryx; 16 August 2022, 02:02 PM.

Comment

I need to invest in tin futures.

Comment

I guess I'm alone in thinking - This is fantastic news. The idea that someone can write a .NET app and it can be expected to natively run on Linux is quite a good thing.

How many of the major applications that the major software houses create run on .NET?

Suddenly, is Microsoft Office a native Linux application now? Suddenly, is the full-sized Visual Studio a Linux application now? What about other things by other companies? Are any of Adobe's programs written with .NET and 6.0 compliant? I'm sure there are a lot of big dependencies that may still be missing, such as a missing Registry.

Maybe I'm wrong about the implications here. Am I? How hard would it be at that point to port a native Linux application(.net 6.0) to Linux?

Comment

I guess it's not snap because snap itself doesn't work in docker containers (where .Net would be relevant)

Comment

Originally posted by Apteryx View Post

Is it just me, or Miguel de Icaza being apalled by Microsoft's actions surrounding .NET is kind of hilarious? I mean, what did they expect?
                  The irony isn't lost on me. It's funny how MS ended up acquiring mono. There's got to be some anti-trust lawsuit in there.

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  I need to invest in tin futures.
                  Physical or bust.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
                    The idea that someone can write a .NET app and it can be expected to natively run on Linux is quite a good thing.
                    Wasn't it already possible with .NET 5.0?

Comment

Working...
                    X