No announcement yet.

Debian 11 Is Releasing This Weekend With Many Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel superior reading this thread, but feelings are fleeting. Also, good job for pointing out the details on Debian! +1

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
      First Debian I ran was 7 Wheezy, man I feel old....
      My first debian was bo. How shall I feel? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Wait what??? Stable Debian releases does not update to new releases but only backport fixes?! The AUDACITY.
        aye, let's random developers add their 3 cents to the projects abandoned by its creators (who are already focused on a version two major released fresher) and add their own patches to it. I'm sure it improves security (like ssl) and causes no friction with the original developers (firefox)

Comment

Yay, new versions finally gonna rolling into testing again

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post

aye, let's random developers add their 3 cents to the projects abandoned by its creators (who are already focused on a version two major released fresher) and add their own patches to it. I'm sure it improves security (like ssl) and causes no friction with the original developers (firefox)
            This is how all distributions do it. At least all the non-rolling release ones. This is also what is known as stability. You don't just go updating chunks of your operating system for the fun of it.

Every damn time "Oh my, there is a new Debian.. It's already too old!" It's a perfectly functional desktop that is conservative in their releases and their freeze period is longer than ubuntu's upgrade period... you wonder why they are more stable?

Ubuntu bases their pulls off of Debian Sid's repositories. So a fresh install of Debian Stable is going to end up being roughly the same as the Ubuntu LTS releases. and if you look at the versions of packages between the two, that's basically where they're at. So do I hear Ubuntu LTS releases being accompanied by 'omg, old packages!' Nope, not a single damn time.

If you want to see old.. remember that RHEL usually releases a major version, then just does minor updates for up to 10 years sometimes... Hell, Ubuntu LTS now has a 10 year support cycle (more if you're willing to pay).

Also, I believe buster and bullseye will work fine on my AMD 5900x and RTX3080, thank you very much, though I do tend to run Sid on my desktop systems. Buster+Backports is very excellent.

On the note of Experimental, as long as you keep some basic things like nvidia drivers installed from there, it's usually fairly painless. I wouldn't go full on installing stuff from there though, especially if you're running stable or testing branches.

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post

Well your comment is also one of the the most outdated/lazy perpetual repetitive nonsense in existence. For example:
              • Debian has three primary distros...
                • STABLE
                  • Great for servers - where any sane sysop would prefer rock solid things that just work!
                • Testing
                  • Great for desktop - essentially a rolling release, very up to date.
                • Unstable
                  • Great for those who like changes, good or bad.

Failure to think and/or understand cause people to not understand that the testing release is essentially the same as a rolling release. That might be a good thing I guess, as it keep certain people away from Debian. I used to think that it was a bad thing for Debian to use the name testing instead of rolling , but I am not so sure anymore.
              OK. Let me rephrase my original post a bit: You got it all wrong. All the stuff that one can see in horror movies is made real by Debian: people cutting their limbs off with kitchen knives, large numbers of spiders eating people alive, mummies rising from the dead, and so on. Trust me, I have seen it all with my own naked eyes. It is all real. You are all wrong ... so wrong.

And now, some quotations from your post that I find fascinating:
              • "great for [fill in a random word from a dictionary]"
              • "things that just work!"
              • "great for those who like [fill in a random word from a dictionary]"
              • "good or bad"
              • "failure to think"
              • "essentially the same as"
              • "that might be a good thing"
              • "keep certain people away from"
              • "I used to think that it was a bad thing"
              • "not so sure anymore"

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
                It's a perfectly functional desktop that is conservative
                unless you want, of course, to view heic photos in kde, right. or should I port framework packages myself?

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post

unless you want, of course, to view heic photos in kde, right. or should I port framework packages myself?
                  https://superuser.com/questions/1252...-linux#1289090
                  That took all of a second to find. Also, screw Apple and their weird formats.

Comment

It's finally up!!

Comment

Originally posted by Duff~ View Post
                      It's finally up!!
                      Time for celebration! Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                      X