X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yay, new versions finally gonna rolling into testing again

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post

aye, let's random developers add their 3 cents to the projects abandoned by its creators (who are already focused on a version two major released fresher) and add their own patches to it. I'm sure it improves security (like ssl) and causes no friction with the original developers (firefox)
      This is how all distributions do it. At least all the non-rolling release ones. This is also what is known as stability. You don't just go updating chunks of your operating system for the fun of it.

Every damn time "Oh my, there is a new Debian.. It's already too old!" It's a perfectly functional desktop that is conservative in their releases and their freeze period is longer than ubuntu's upgrade period... you wonder why they are more stable?

Ubuntu bases their pulls off of Debian Sid's repositories. So a fresh install of Debian Stable is going to end up being roughly the same as the Ubuntu LTS releases. and if you look at the versions of packages between the two, that's basically where they're at. So do I hear Ubuntu LTS releases being accompanied by 'omg, old packages!' Nope, not a single damn time.

If you want to see old.. remember that RHEL usually releases a major version, then just does minor updates for up to 10 years sometimes... Hell, Ubuntu LTS now has a 10 year support cycle (more if you're willing to pay).

Also, I believe buster and bullseye will work fine on my AMD 5900x and RTX3080, thank you very much, though I do tend to run Sid on my desktop systems. Buster+Backports is very excellent.

On the note of Experimental, as long as you keep some basic things like nvidia drivers installed from there, it's usually fairly painless. I wouldn't go full on installing stuff from there though, especially if you're running stable or testing branches.

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
        It's a perfectly functional desktop that is conservative
        unless you want, of course, to view heic photos in kde, right. or should I port framework packages myself?

Comment

unless you want, of course, to view heic photos in kde, right. or should I port framework packages myself?
          How can I view .HEIC photos (the new default format on iOS 11) on a Linux desktop, without uploading them to some cloud service? Is there an image viewer, image converter, or browser with support ...

That took all of a second to find. Also, screw Apple and their weird formats.

Comment

It's finally up!!

Comment

Originally posted by Duff~ View Post
              It's finally up!!
              Time for celebration! Cheers.

Comment

aye, let's random developers add their 3 cents to the projects abandoned by its creators (who are already focused on a version two major released fresher) and add their own patches to it. I'm sure it improves security (like ssl) and causes no friction with the original developers (firefox)
                Debian is consistently amongst the first to address security issues and ship the fix (including ssl) and the friction with firefox was non-technical (i.e. about the license of the firefox branding).

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
                  On the note of Experimental, as long as you keep some basic things like nvidia drivers installed from there, it's usually fairly painless. I wouldn't go full on installing stuff from there though, especially if you're running stable or testing branches.
                  You should not recommend using the experimental branch outside of development/testing purposes. Debian itself discourages this as things may break badly and may result in data loss.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
                    You should not recommend using the experimental branch outside of development/testing purposes. Debian itself discourages this as things may break badly and may result in data loss.
                    I didn't recommend it, I simply said somethings are relatively painless if you do use it. Experimental for sure is something you would only use if you absolutely had to, and only if you are already running Sid, and it isn't something major (like installing Gnome from there.)

Comment

Those who continue to operate and support Debian are part of the larger problem.

Here's the part that's conveniently buried:

The Debian Med team has been taking part in the fight against COVID-19 by packaging software for researching the virus on the sequence level and for fighting the pandemic with the tools used in epidemiology; this work will continue with focus on machine learning tools for both fields. The team's work with Quality Assurance and Continuous integration is critical to the consistent reproducible results required in the sciences. Debian Med Blend has a range of performance critical applications which now benefit from SIMD Everywhere. To install packages maintained by the Debian Med team, install the metapackages named med-*, which are at version 3.6.x.

Just a thought but maybe..Debian should not be involved in this?

Comment

Working...
                      X