No announcement yet.

Fedora 34 Released As A Hugely Exciting Update For This Linux Distribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currently seeding the ISO torrent for Fedora Workstation 34 while on Fedora 34 (Xanmod kernel, because the stock distro kernel just won't stop "frying" my laptop) already

Nice way to contribute to availability of my favorite distro

Comment

Originally posted by kon14 View Post

Gnome devs couldn't care less about their users' preferences.
      They just flat-out refuse to accept any feedback and insist that users be the ones to get used to whatever random decision they come up with.
      Some of the changes are actually nice, but a whole lot of them are just plain awful for many a reason and more often than not they're not even configurable from Tweaks or dconf editor, thus requiring extensions, which regrettably break on every single release.

With that being said, Gnome can be a pretty functional desktop after applying a few tweaks here and there, but vanilla Gnome just sucks.
      Since absolute most people use applications without changing any defaults it makes Gnome suck hard on the desktop. RedHat continues to insist on furthering a single DE for both PCs and mobile, only they are two absolutely different classes of devices aside from having screens you can stare at.

Remember, most Gnome/GTK developers are employed by RedHat. Gnome is a RedHat desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Avant

How did you install xanmod on fedora?
        I made the Copr repository for Liquorix and Xanmod on Fedora. Liquorix is decent too, but Xanmod got NTFS3 driver already inbuilt so that's a killer deal for me. I kept most of the upstream config, but changed some to align with Fedora, like SELinux as default security module and SHA256 for signing

kernel-lqx on Copr
        kernel-xanmod on Copr
        Last edited by rmnscnce; 27 April 2021, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Nice to see that they farmed out the wallpaper design to the animation team from Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarves.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
            but they've gotten to a point where they should have at least had a Control Panel setting to satisfy people who are asking for a more Windows/Mac style layout.
            Windows technically doesn't have a control panel anymore except for historical use. They use Settings now which happens to be more like Gnome settings but will a lot more stuff.

It isn't difficult to adjust to any desktop environment though. One just has to be fine with it. In fact, I see no usability difference between Windows and Gnome as they are by default despite the differences.
            Last edited by ix900; 27 April 2021, 11:48 AM.

Comment

tbh i would like to like gnome. but i just can't use a desktop without tray icons as i need apps which need them.
              i tried extensions - but that sucks. too many times my tray extension did not work after a gnome update. i need my desktop to work.

so.. no gnome for me.

i also dislike csd - but i could live with that.

well i stay with xfce then.

Comment

I have tried to install this Fedora 34 final release on a virtual machine on VirtualBox and this is what I get

host is Ubuntu 20.10

Comment

Originally posted by rockiron View Post
                  I have tried to install this Fedora 34 final release on a virtual machine on VirtualBox and this is what I get

host is Ubuntu 20.10
                  Oh no, that's fine, that's what the default Gnome desktop is supposed to look like

Comment

Fedora represents everything I hate about Linux. Non standard desktop in Gnome, the Linixism mess that is SystemD digging its tentacles into the OS even deeper, and pushing wayland over Xorg. I'll be just fine and dandy running xfce4 on OpenBSD and FreeBSD- two much better engineered OSes than Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by Avant

btw apart from ntfs3 driver, do you know if there are any other compelling features to prefer xanmod over liquorix? Perhaps better overall performance?
                      Not one that I know of. I'm not the one to push kernels to its limits though, I just use whatever stuff that works for my use case

Comment

Working...
                      X