Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 21.04 Released With Wayland By Default, New Dark Theme

Phoronix: Ubuntu 21.04 Released With Wayland By Default, New Dark Theme

Ubuntu 21.04 "Hirsute Hippo" is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anyone know if other Ubuntu flavors like kubuntu will do the same?

Comment

I'm not an Ubuntu fan by any means, but Ubuntu 22.04 LTS has everything to be a beast. Wayland by default + GNOME 44 will be awesome, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post
        Other flavours of Ubuntu contain DEs which do not support Wayland (aside from Kubuntu).

Comment

Originally posted by ivan.cwb View Post
          I'm not an Ubuntu fan by any means, but Ubuntu 22.04 LTS has everything to be a beast. Wayland by default + GNOME 44 will be awesome, for sure.
          GNOME 42, at most.

Comment

Waiting for Kubuntu !
            Nice that the kernel and Mesa were upgraded.
            Too bad developers didn't try to switch to Pipewire, IWD and Firefox 88, even by delaying the release a bit.

Comment

Dark theme, wow. How modern.

omgubuntu is slinging hirsute hippo t-shirts that are pretty hilarious looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                Waiting for Kubuntu !
                Nice that the kernel and Mesa were upgraded.
                Too bad developers didn't try to switch to Pipewire, IWD and Firefox 88, even by delaying the release a bit.
                Pipewire ain't anywhere near ready to replace pulseaudio yet. Firefox 88 will come up shortly (browsers aren't version locked in Ubuntu) and I know iwd has been tested in the community but still glitchy for some. I don't know what the plan is with it.

Comment

Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post
                  In the beta of Kubuntu was it
                  Plasma Wayland session
                  • A Plasma Wayland session is installed, but is not the default. A Wayland session can be started by selecting it at the login screen.
                  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HirsuteHippo/Beta/Kubuntu
                  and XfCE has only a roadmap for wayland support so it will take time.
                  Don't know the state of mate wayland(i think still in a early stage https://github.com/wmww/mate-wayland-snap)
                  LXQT the same https://github.com/lxqt/lxqt/issues/10

Comment

Finally Wayland! What are your guys experience with Wayland? Do you prefer it to X.Org or do you still prefer X.Org Server?
                    I still had some minor issues with GNOME on Wayland not positioning windows the way X did.

I really look forward to the upcoming Ubuntu 21.10 in October with GNOME 40 or GNOME 42 and GTK 4. I find it exciting!

It is too bad that PHP in Ubuntu 21.04 is outdated, it is version 7.4 not 8.0. 😢

Comment

Working...
                    X