Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mppix View Post

What are you talking about?
    Sure, Debian (and therefore Ubuntu) does not have the packages, yet, but this is mainly because Debian testing is frozen.
    Fedora beta and Arch users will tell you that pipewire and its pulse/jack/buetooth packages work well...
    Ubuntu is derived from Debian experimental then frozen in place 6-8 weeks before release. Pipewire is indeed available at 0.3. And no, it's not in a state yet to replace pulseaudio besides some anecdotical success stories you might have seen around.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

Fedora beta and Arch users will tell you that pipewire and its pulse/jack/buetooth packages work well...
      Give them some time. They made a big switch to Wayland, maybe pipewire will be next.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Other flavours of Ubuntu contain DEs which do not support Wayland (aside from Kubuntu).
        Lubuntu supports Wayland since 2018, so Lubuntu should be good to go. And UKUI also supports Wayland since 2019, so Ubuntu Kylin should be good to go as well.

But I already told you that last time.
        Last edited by Vistaus; 22 April 2021, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post

Pipewire ain't anywhere near ready to replace pulseaudio yet. Firefox 88 will come up shortly (browsers aren't version locked in Ubuntu) and I know iwd has been tested in the community but still glitchy for some. I don't know what the plan is with it.
          iwd may be glitchy, but so is the default daemon for me, so I don't see how that's an issue then.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Finally Wayland! What are your guys experience with Wayland? Do you prefer it to X.Org or do you still prefer X.Org Server?
            Seriously, dude? You hang around on these forums so frequently and you still don't know what everyone thinks of Wayland and X.org? It's a never-ending discussion in most topics.

Comment

I'm so happy with 20.04 LTS, I may never update. But I'm an outlier with my custom setup on a noobie OS. Still, 20.04 was the perfect freeze-in-time of the best and latest features, speed, and stability.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
                Mate is early stages but they have a some what functional prototype and budgie is also in the functional prototype stage with wayland support this is ahead of Xfce and LXQt.

Xfce roadmap include a option to just come a collection of applications going forwards .
                Yes LXQt and Xfce as DE might disappear. At this stage XFCE and LXQt does not even have a functional prototype of a Wayland compositor for them.
                What do you mean LXQt doesn't work on Wayland yet? Lubuntu with LXQt has supported it since 20.10: https://news.softpedia.com/news/afte...0-522370.shtml

Comment

I've got use to dealing with display issues and software oddities (I use compat layers like wine and stuff) with X11. Switching to Wayland introduces a whole new slew of problems I must figure out, understand, and resolve, if possible. So I'm holding off from using Wayland until is super mature and solid as a rock....

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                    I've got use to dealing with display issues and software oddities (I use compat layers like wine and stuff) with X11. Switching to Wayland introduces a whole new slew of problems I must figure out, understand, and resolve, if possible. So I'm holding off from using Wayland until is super mature and solid as a rock....
                    Some of the limitation with wine with application scaling even under X11 to work around properly you will be needing to use like Valve gamescope that does need Wayland support in drivers to function.

Wayland brings some problems and fixes others.

Comment

Wayland has been great for me. I hope other people also have a good experience now that it is the default. If not, well maybe this will encourage people to fix the corner cases.

Comment

Working...
                      X