No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 21.04 Released With Wayland By Default, New Dark Theme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm running Kubuntu, so looking forward to this being rolled into Kubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post
      I don't understand why people write posts like this. So you say it's not anywhere near ready. What's the point in you saying that if you don't/can't list any reasons why? Right now the anecdotal success stories outnumber the amount of issues with it that I've been able to list in this topic.

I've been using Pipewire and pipewire-pulse for like two months and I haven't run into any issues. Is that anecdotal? Sure, but right now it's worth more than your posts at the moment.
      Almost same experience here, and with Debian pipewire packages from experimental. I'm running pipewire 0.3.25 from experimental on Debian sid just now, replacing pulse, jack and alsa client libs, with no issues at all.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
        Almost same experience here, and with Debian pipewire packages from experimental. I'm running pipewire 0.3.25 from experimental on Debian sid just now, replacing pulse, jack and alsa client libs, with no issues at all.
        debian testing pipewire 0.3.19-4 lot of ways is more stable that debian testing pulseaudio.

I would say pipewire is fairly close to being ready to replace pulseaudio. I am look forwards from out the box configuration to being able to open up complex audio software for those odd jobs and not have the o crud moment because need jack audio so leading to bad thing happening in the attempted cooperation between pulseaudio and jack audio deciding todo something stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Yes, that always works out fine. [/sarcasm] iOS is a prime example of why that doesn't work. Apple says "it needs to be released at -insert date-", but quite a few iOS releases had nasty bugs, caused boot loops on a lot of devices or locked people out as their PIN wouldn't work anymore. All because Apple devs couldn't complete their work and testing in time.

So no, sticking to a release schedule is NOT a good idea. And it's not like Canonical never postponed a release before. Remember 6.06? There was a reason it was delayed 2 months (it should've been 6.04).
          Fixing issues is a reason to delay a release. Introducing new features is not enough reason, not when you know there is another release coming in 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post

Ubuntu is derived from Debian experimental then frozen in place 6-8 weeks before release. Pipewire is indeed available at 0.3. And no, it's not in a state yet to replace pulseaudio besides some anecdotical success stories you might have seen around.
            Again, what are you talking about?
            Pipewire in Debian testing / Ubuntu are lacking the packages pipewire-pulse and pipewire-jack.
            Fedora beta and arch have them and they work at worst as well as pulseaudio.
            So pipewire is ready; ubuntu is not
            Last edited by mppix; 23 April 2021, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Does freesync / variable refresh work properly on Wayland now?

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
                Pipewire in Debian testing / Ubuntu are lacking the packages pipewire-pulse and pipewire-jack.

So pipewire is ready; ubuntu is not
                In Debian those are currently packaged for 0.3.25 pipewire release under a different name: pipewire-audio-client-libraries. You can find the package if you add sid and experimental to your sources.list (and pick only pipewire from experimental to avoid a complete mess, so edit apt preferences before installing). Since Debian sid is a rolling release, it's almost ready. I agree Ubuntu is not ready yet, it not being a rolling release, but I bet there is some PPA out there to achieve the same with low effort.

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
                I am look forwards from out the box configuration to being able to open up complex audio software for those odd jobs
                See above, then follow this guide: https://wiki.debian.org/PipeWire and finally install qjackctl or Catia.
                Agreed, it's not exactly out of the box experience, but it's not hard at all either and it does not mess up the system: rather easy to undo and go back to plain pulse.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                  Does freesync / variable refresh work properly on Wayland now?
                  Sway has had support for VRR for a long while now and Gnome is working on it.
                  KDE is also working on it as of late.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
                    Again, what are you talking about?
                    That is true and false at least for debian.

True debian testing does not have a pipewire-pulse and pipewire-jack package but it does have those libraries in a package called pipewire-audio-client-libraries. I run debian testing. I have played with pipewire pulse and pipewire jack and pipewire alsa under debian testing.

Ubuntu has the same packaging setup where the pulse/jack/alsa of pipewire are all in 1 package.

lucrus I am more than aware how to enable pipewire I am just looking forward to the day I can do a clean install and the default is pipewire so I don't have to change anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                      Waiting for Kubuntu !
                      Nice that the kernel and Mesa were upgraded.
                      Too bad developers didn't try to switch to Pipewire, IWD and Firefox 88, even by delaying the release a bit.
                      Testing the Wayland session in real-life scenarios is more than enough for Ubuntu right now. If you add more potential problems, you'll probably end up with less users testing the release. I'm very interested in PipeWire, but I'm fine with Ubuntu not switching to it by default until at least 21.10.

Comment

Working...
                      X