Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linspire 10 Released - Claims Of "Most Meticulously Designed & Engineered FOSS Desktop"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

That requires DKMS........which you said you didn't want.......
    there are multiple ways to build a kernel module.
    dkms is usually used to compile a module on your own machine with a new and probably untested kernel.

that's why eg arch or debian sometimes have problems with zfs and ubuntu has not.

Comment

Wow, stock GNOME, very meticulously designed, SO innovative

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post

there are multiple ways to build a kernel module.
        dkms is usually used to compile a module on your own machine with a new and probably untested kernel.

that's why eg arch or debian sometimes have problems with zfs and ubuntu has not.
        Specifically in ZFS case, DKMS is used because distributing the already built kernel module is illegal. There is no way to get around it short of reimplementing ZFS (which is not happening anytime soon).

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
          I would hope that anyone selling Free Software would take the money and use it to reinvest in development
          you mean reinvest in marketing

Comment

Very nice. Scam foolish windows and mac users this way. Most linux distros are so good. Most of these people can not appreciate anything without paying for it

Comment

Features included in Linspire 10.0 :
              Rhytmbox
              LOL..

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Please, tell us more about how Linux sucks because your favorite proprietary programs only work on Windows. We've never heard that one before.
                I switched from Windows to Linux 10 years ago and I've never looked back. It is like I've always said; Linux is for real computer people. Curious people that love to learn. And sometimes less than great results is a good teacher. For those that shrink in horror at that, Microsoft has a warm bed and a bottle for you.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                  Please, tell us more about how Linux sucks because your favorite proprietary programs only work on Windows. We've never heard that one before.
                  Because you seem to have a problem understanding what you read, allow me to explain to you in such a way that even a person like you can understand. Linux sucks for the following reasons:

1) Performance, especially I/O performance related to copying and encrypting large files, is atrocious, and it's especially more glaring when compared to Win 10.

2) Even natively compile proprietary apps, such as the Linux build of Davinci Resolve, suffer from numerous problems, such as being unreliable in getting them to even work on all distros.

3) This is one is my biggest complaints and really shows how substandard Linux is: scaling of text within an apps GUI. If you take cross platform open source applications, such as Shotcut, Avidemux, Open/Libre Office, etc, and use on the exact same hardware, in both any Linux distro you can name or Windows, you will find that running one Windows text scaling is perfect if you manually set a font size, under Windows the app GUI will display perfectly. With Linux the exact same apps, running in either their native Linux build or a Windows build via WINE, will not scale properly, the text will either be so small that you can't read what anything says or so big that half the GUI will disappear through the bottom of the screen. This also happens with various distros built in package manager, set a default font of 14 instead of 11 and many distros, like Fedora 33, the bottom of the package manager disappears and if you want to use it you manually have to make the fonts smaller.

4) MS Office has no open source equal. I do a lot of data analysis, and Excel is invaluable, as is Power Point. You just can't do the same type of work with Open/Libre/Apache or other Office Suite.

For the record, I have been using Linux since before some of you were probably born, I have been using it since back when you could walk into a CompUSA and buy Suse in a box with a book for $80; I have been using it before Ximian Gnome was around, and I was making and using Knoppix remasters as soon as they were a thing.

Basically my experiences with Linux over the years mirror Dedoimedo's reviews, where he complains about all the "paper cuts" associated with Linux distros. Every once in a while you see something that makes you thing maybe Linux is finally coming of age and then you realize that it's still a half baked product that can't even be given away for free, judging by how low an adoption rate it has.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                    Linux sucks for the following reasons: < snip >
                    It doesn't fit your use case. Good. Moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Basically my experiences with Linux over the years mirror Dedoimedo's reviews, where he complains about all the "paper cuts" associated with Linux distros. Every once in a while you see something that makes you thing maybe Linux is finally coming of age and then you realize that it's still a half baked product that can't even be given away for free, judging by how low an adoption rate it has.
                      IMHO, and I certainly cannot speak for Dedimedo, his "papercuts" refer mostly to regressions that seem to come out of nowhere, adding features that are not complete before added, taking a way features that people use, and/or of the vast difference in functionality that two distros may have that are based on the same distro (Ubuntu for example) with the same desktop. Another is the lack of MS Office on linux (which you mentioned and is critical for many people - myself included). These papercuts all arise because there does not appear to be a seemless out of the box experience for most non-linux users. But that might be expected because linux is developed based upon (mostly) volunteers and companies. In the case of the former, the volunteers are going to work on what they find most interesting - after all they are volunteers and most people do not volunteer to do things that they are not interested in (debugging for example is painful - this forum is full of posts about people not wanting to go through the headache of filing a bug report). In the latter case, the companies are developing things for customers. Consider Red Hat. They do a lot of great work for the community in general and Gnome in particular, but if tomorrow, all of Red Hat's customers wanted to go to XFCE or KDE, what do you think Red Hat would do? I know what they would not do - they are trying to thrive as a company. Linspire selling its OS might be a good thing because then maybe these devs would get feedback from people that are not devs or enthusiasts.

Another issue that seems to crop up is the NIH syndrome. Some distros have great installers, others not so much. Some have great package managers, others are really not very user friendly (to the casual user). One distro (and I cannot remember) actually had icons that were wrappers for links to Office on Line for MS OFFICE - that was actually kind of cool. Most working people that are not in the IT industry utilize computers for gaming, internet surfing, and "office" work. Gaming has gotten much better on linux, but unfortunately it is not an easy OOB icon press to make many games "just work." (How many linux distros come with Wine preinstalled and set up and ready to go?) LibreOffice is more than sufficient for my personal needs, but it cannot do what I need it to do in PowerPoint with 100% compatibility. And yes, I believe you ae correct about fonts - fonts in linux (IMHO) are really difficult (well, Ubuntu does a good job) - particularly with the scaling and the contrast (who wants to look at pale gray fonts on a light background - some must because many distros seem to do that). The low linux adoption rate applies to the desktop/laptop and much of that is probably due to early marketing (and OOB experience) that gained MS Windows market share.

Do I rant and rave about that here? - no. I really enjoy using linux, but I recognize its weaknesses. I could give you a real list of things that aggravate the hell out of me about Windows 10 (like needing to upgrade to Professional just so I could have some control over what my computer was doing, hunting down registry keys to stop some dumb stuff, disabling services that were sucking resources, or deliberately having to break programs/apps with firewall rules so I could work in peace). Hell, I am two 6 month releases back on Windows 10 because MS will not allow me to update because of known bug with my conexant audio. At least in linux I could come to places like this forum and get advice on a work around - unless you have real clout (i.e. money), ask MS about this and I am told that it is a hardware issue, I may have to replace it (not sure how easy it would be replace a soldered in audio chip on my laptop motherboard). Go to the manufacturer and they will say either we are working on it, we do not support it anymore, or it is a software problem.

Most people here are trying to work through how to make their favorite operating system work better for them - not blast someone else for "being stupid" because that someone has another favorite operating system. At least that is true for most people here - there are always exceptions.

Finally, if IIRC, Dedoimedo is involved in some development projects. He also uses at least one Kubuntu system in his production work. Most of his complaints (IMHO) are because he loves linux and wants to see it make it big time. I also know that he is well aware of this site as it is on his World's Greatest Internet Sites list.

Enjoy working with what ever you need to work with in order to get done what you need to get done.
                      Last edited by f0rmat; 11 February 2021, 11:04 AM. Reason: Grammar
                      GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Working...
                      X