Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linspire 10 Released - Claims Of "Most Meticulously Designed & Engineered FOSS Desktop"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
    I personally do not have any problem with anyone trying to make some money, what i have a problem with that Linux sucks and there doesn't seem anyone capable of changing that.

Note, I am typing this from a HP Ice Lake 17" laptop that I opened up and upgraded myself and then I installed various Linux distros on it; currently I am using Manjaro Mate.

The reality is that Win 10, especially the newest build, is a way better OS than any Linux distro and it's very easy to prove.

All one has to do is try to copy the contents of a 1gig NVMe to a 1gig SSD, or vice versa, if said drives have lots of big files and watch how slow it goes and the GUI freeze. Try the same thing with Win 10 and watch how smoothly things go.

The sad thing is that there are some thing I like about Linux, but there are some that just boggle the mind. Ubuntu, especially Ubuntu Mate, seems to suffer from Ubuntu rot, where the system starts off great and then within a month it slows down, at least in desktop responsiveness and random freezing.

Linux Mint is very nice, and maybe the closest I have seen a distro come to being a professionally done distro. but the general lack of pro caliber software really holds Linux back.

No open source office suite can hold a candle to Windows Office, I use Excel for both chemical and business analysis and i have tried Open/Libre office and they don't come close.

Same thing for editing audio or video, I like Shotcut and Avidemux, but they don't compare to professional apps, getting Resolve to work, either natively or under WINE on Linux is a ball breaking experience that I have only successfully accomplished once.

As soon as I get the time I am installing Win 10 on this lap top just like I did with my i7 Comet Lake laptop and never look back.
    Please, tell us more about how Linux sucks because your favorite proprietary programs only work on Windows. We've never heard that one before.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
      I honestly am a fan of ridiculous pricing for corporate licenses because I believe in many cases Linux is the superior choice. Let them pay for the fruit of our hard work.
      I actually am too. Though this does run the risk that the project will shun the original community and only focus on money and their corporate stake holders. For this project, that is not really a risk. However LibreOffice is becoming a potential example of this.

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
      Please, tell us more about how Linux sucks because your favorite proprietary programs only work on Windows. We've never heard that one before.
      Hah, yes. Always the same story. The first thing anyone does when they finally get convinced to try out a free platform, is try to install all their old proprietary shite on it. Along with a new OS must come a new mindset. Unfortunately with many Windows users coming to Linux recently (because Microsoft is deprecating "open" desktop Windows) means they are bringing this sometimes childish proprietary mindset with them. This will get worse in the years to come before it gets better. Brace yourself
      Last edited by kpedersen; 10 February 2021, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Gnome workflow for retail store employees, or engineers, or designers, or ....hummm really not a good idea !

Comment

The reality is that Win 10, especially the newest build, is a way better OS than any Linux distro and it's very easy to prove.
          I feel like it could be that you are trying to bait people into a discussion. Windows 10 could be the best OS for your situation but consider that if something is very optimal for your situation that could imply it is sub-optimal for another situation. The best motorcycle would still be a terrible work van.

Comment

As soon as I get the time I am installing Win 10 on this lap top just like I did with my i7 Comet Lake laptop and never look back.
            Good luck. And don't ever look back, certainly not to this site.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
              They would stand a better chance of their goal if they simply bundled in a vanilla Gnome 2

Then they might have some serious chance of becoming *the* desktop distro.
              No, no, GNOME 3 is *the* desktop. Just ask our "friend" 144Hz
              Last edited by Vistaus; 10 February 2021, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by benoflondon View Post

Sorry but that's a question of personal taste. After trying several DEs, I settled for Gnome because this was the one I found the most usable and easy to tweak to make it whatever I wanted. On the other hand I hated KDE, I felt completely lost on it, I didn't like its default design and found it very difficult to enable and manage all the widgets... But then I never felt my personal tastes and experiences entitled me to claim that any DE was crap...
                We should all be grateful to have such a great choice of DEs and workflows to suit anyone's needs in Linux, and all that for free, so the least we could do is respect the hard work that so many developers put in them! If there is one project you believe to be very superior to the others then you can just donate to that project, no need to be rude and offensive towards the other ones.
                So trying GNOME and KDE counts as "several DE's"? That's a low bar in Linux land.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

So trying GNOME and KDE counts as "several DE's"? That's a low bar in Linux land.
                  Where does that come from??? And how does this relate to the point I was making???
                  I mentioned gnome as this was the one being spat on without any valuable reason, and KDE as just an example, where did I mention I did not try any other???

Comment

Originally posted by benoflondon View Post

Where does that come from??? And how does this relate to the point I was making???
                    I mentioned gnome as this was the one being spat on without any valuable reason, and KDE as just an example, where did I mention I did not try any other???
                    You didn't tell us about the others you've tried, so I figured you didn't really try them and were sitting on a high, high horse. If I'm wrong, then I hereby apologize.
                    Last edited by Vistaus; 10 February 2021, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
                      Hmmm interesting.
                      I would pay 30$ for a pure systemd distro (no upstart bridging mess. not sure if linspire is that) without snap and first class zfs support (no dkms)

But... I can't trust them to stay around.
                      I've heard ZFS on linux has some issues that have been around for many years, such as inability to reliably hibernate, and even issues with swap (at least on top of ZFS). I take it you've been running ZFS for a while, any other issues/gotchas with it on Linux so far?

Comment

Working...
                      X