No announcement yet.

Oracle Linux Looking To Attract CentOS Users Looking For Alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know people really hate Oracle. And I don't blame them, as Oracle has done some pretty terrible stuff. But is Oracle Linux a good options? They track closely to RHEL, release very quickly, have an optional recent kernel. Are there risks/downsides? Couldn't you move to Oracle, and then if Oracle does something terrible, move to Rocky, or something else then?

I'm very skeptical of Oracle. But what's the worse they could do here?

Comment

Moving to Oracle is the same as shooting yourself in the foot.

I can see a lot of people prematurely jumping ship - especially as Centos is around until end of 2021 atleast. After that the Cloud Linux would be a better option, or even Rocky Linux.

Never Oracle.

You have to remember that Oracle is the company that included JavaFX for free with the Java download... and then sued businesses for using it. They are evil.

For most though I suspect Centos Stream will be more than adequate. I plan to move my web hosting VPS to Centos Stream.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
        everyone certainly welcome over at https://t2sde.org, it's even free, snd support mips64 and ppc64le, too ;-) Recently even had a 20.10 stable release, ..!

Broken CSS on mobile gives it that unprofessional vibe.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
          I know people really hate Oracle. And I don't blame them, as Oracle has done some pretty terrible stuff. But is Oracle Linux a good options? They track closely to RHEL, release very quickly, have an optional recent kernel. Are there risks/downsides? Couldn't you move to Oracle, and then if Oracle does something terrible, move to Rocky, or something else then?

I'm very skeptical of Oracle. But what's the worse they could do here?
          Change to Oracle Linux is just pointing your repos to a different repository.
          They're faster tracking RHEL compared with current CentOS

If any other RHEL 100% binary distro is released, you can just change your repos once again.
          Remember that they're all RHEL clones.

Comment

Oracle is trying to attract anything that moves these days. Their problem is people have wised up and are going any other direction now.

As for compatibility, I remember one incident where the client was reporting kernel crashes and after many hours spent, we discovered they weren't using RHEL (which is what was officially supported), but Oracle Linux. Granted, that's a sample of 1 and no software is bug free, but that is my experience.

Comment

Never Oracle.
              I moved all servers to Ubuntu
              (SUSE was also considered)
              when it took them 1 year to get an unofficial CentOS 8 AWS image up.
              They still don't have an official one;
              https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/s...4-1b0f377efe89
              Last edited by elatllat; 12 December 2020, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
                For most though I suspect Centos Stream will be more than adequate.
                That is just brain dead compared to bothering with Oracle.

Comment

Oracle? Best wishes while it lasts ...

Comment

Originally posted by C8292 View Post

dude get over it :-)
                    oracle linux is spectacular, specially compared with CentOS

Originally posted by Sign
                    DON'T BUY FROM NVIDIA

enemy of your freedom
                    Fixed.

Comment

I just read through the 3 week notice for canceling C8 support, and during a pandemic. It's like watching Alderon explode. I'm surprised I missed the news. Larger enterprises do rh, suse, or ubuntu contracts. This looks to affect all the mid tier companies that can't afford it. That's some real Fulsom prison shiving right there. Not a good look.

As far as Oracle, their distro is solid, and they pre-tweak it for RAC. But they will nag you for a subscription if you want to do anything useful/mission critical. If zero fee is your thing, I think Ubuntu LTS Server is probably the better option. You can even do the freebie version of ksplice kernel updates without a reboot.

Comment

Working...
                      X