Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fedora 2

Comment

We're in a multi-distro environment (CentOS and SLES). Guess that decision is made for us.

Comment

This is an inappropriate change and dishonest at that. Their acquisition of CentOS (merger was always a lie) was sold as "nothing is changing, only improving; CentOS will always remain free". Technically, it remains free, but it does not remain CentOS. It is now RHEL-Broken. My company, as well as at least a hundred others that I know and deal with directly, rely on CentOS. We will NEVER use RHEL. Just not going to happen. Don't need it, don't want it. If they didn't want to support CentOS, as the FREE FULLY SUPPORTED OS THAT IT IS AND MUST REMAIN, they shouldn't have acquired it. If this happens as they currently describe it to be happening, we are moving to Oracle. I'd rather, literally, shove money to a furnace than the scam that is RHEL.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Unless you are one of the 17 weirdos on CentOS using AMDGPU-Pro
          Ya I am one of those weirdos. On the one hand I spent decades in data centers and understand that this is going to be an issue for a lot of companies. On the other hand I currently have to dual boot into Centos with it's 10 year old packages from Fedora so I can use modern features like openCL. How backwards is that? Moving to Stream would mean the technology isn't quite so far behind the curve. But Fedora refuses to release the modern ROCm AMD runtime so I can't imagine why Centos stream would ether. If Fedora would fix that I could stop using Centos and no longer have to deal with the PITA of dual booting.

One question though is what effect will this have on people that use 3rd party repos like RPMfusion. I am not sure if they are tracking stream or the main branch.
          Last edited by MadeUpName; 08 December 2020, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Debian has always been the answer, centies got what they deserve.

Comment

I just switched to CentOS 7 * because my external support partner prefers it over Debian.
              Was wondering why we didn't install CentOS 8 as I install new servers with the current Debian stable as soon as it is released. Looks like I have the answer now!
              As soon as the next server install is coming up I will have a word with the external guys about CentOS 7 vs. Debian stable.

* just switched means 10 servers in the last 2 years. Still have as much Debian running that are in the process of needing a upgrade or getting phased out.
              Last edited by slalomsk8er; 09 December 2020, 02:52 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

Ya I am one of those weirdos. On the one hand I spent decades in data centers and understand that this is going to be an issue for a lot of companies. On the other hand I currently have to dual boot into Centos with it's 10 year old packages from Fedora so I can use modern features like openCL. How backwards is that? Moving to Stream would mean the technology isn't quite so far behind the curve. But Fedora refuses to release the modern ROCm AMD runtime so I can't imagine why Centos stream would ether. If Fedora would fix that I could stop using Centos and no longer have to deal with the PITA of dual booting.

One question though is what effect will this have on people that use 3rd party repos like RPMfusion. I am not sure if they are tracking stream or the main branch.
                Heh. That is pretty backwards.

Part of that is on AMD by not having a better driver infrastructure. By that I mean that we can take the Nvidia driver and install it on any distribution provided all the dependencies are met...and I'm simply ignoring all the current 5.9/5.10 CUDA stuff since that's a byproduct of an out-of-tree module and effects open source out-of-tree projects like ZFS and would likely effect AMDGPU-Pro too. If AMD had something like that I'd like to think that OpenCL and ROCm might be in better shape since they'd be available on more distributions.

I'm not too sure of the 3rd party repo situation either. A few months back I considered putting CentOS Stream on the list of things to try out but haven't bothered since what I want and its goals are don't fully align. About all me and Stream have in common is we like rolling along.

Comment

WTF!!!!??? i just installed centos 8 last week on my parents machine and expected 10 year support out of it!

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    This will at least offer a transparent look into the RHEL upsteam and potentially more collaboration,

Comment

That's a strange move indeed. Then it's much lore interesting to run arch as a rolling release distribution. Way more community experience in that context.

As a stable business alternative there's still opensuse, which is becoming a mirror of suse enterprise. At least they are making the right moves: btrfs, rancher, apparmor, etc

Comment

Working...
                      X