Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by dovla091 View Post

One question, will you then use it in production on all of your servers? Simple yes or no.
      Of course not. I work for GiantCorp, we wouldn't use anything without paid support. We'd be running something like RHEL over CentOS anyway. My point was simply that comparing CentOS Stream to Debian Sid is asinine and absurd for a variety of reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
        I think they just take the available centos and put it in a new gift wrap.
        Actually from CentOS FAQ
        Yes, the source code for Red Hat Enterprise Linux will continue to be published on git.centos.org
        So there will be other distros rebuilding it, time to choose one.

Originally posted by cynic View Post
        I wonder what Oracle will do with their Oracle Linux, since it is a rebranded CentOS as well (except for their kernel).
        I assume the same. Rebuilding it from open source components.

Comment

well, that was unexpected anyway. What else could possibly happen now? MSEL? 😐😱

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
            well, that was unexpected anyway. What else could possibly happen now? MSEL? 😐😱
            Actually when I saw 'Stream' announced, I totally expected that. It was pretty much obvious they plan to convert CentOS to updates beta test factory, otherwise there's no point in it.

Comment

Well.. been running Oracle Linux for a while now. A lot less delays when releasing versions :-)
              So CentOS was already dead to me

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
                Do you even use any of the distros you are talking about?
                Daily.

You don't seem to understand any of them. CentOS Stream is nothing like Debian Sid. Packages in Sid are bleeding edge, and are typically even newer than Fedora. Debian also has an enormous universe of packages.
                We're speculating in case you might have not noticed.

CentOS has a tiny amount of packages by comparison, even with RPM Fusion etc. It's a server OS meant to run all your workloads in containers or VMs. CentOS Stream is essentially the alpha version of the next Red Hat beta. "Bleeding edge" Red Hat is still old as dirt and stable.
                I can guarantee you that plenty of CentOS servers don't run any containers, in fact if everybody was running everything in containers distributions will matter very little. Not every single workload needs or benefits from containers which contrary to popular belief only make sense in certain scenarios.

I hope you're right and CentOS Stream is "Debian Testing" and not "Debian Unstable", no idea why do you equate the age of the code with binaries being stable as in no ABI breakages which is what everybody is afraid of.

There are a few problems of breakages already between CentOS stream and EPEL, it is even mentioned in the CentOS blog.

Comment

Originally posted by C8292 View Post
                  Well.. been running Oracle Linux for a while now.
                  Just carefully digged in and found we can use OEL for free actually, if we need no support. Updates are still released into yum repos.
                  So if Oracle continues to build OSS RHEL RPMs their way, then we are all +/- safe there.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex/AT View Post
                    Just carefully digged in and found we can use OEL for free actually, if we need no support. Updates are still released into yum repos.
                    So if Oracle continues to build OSS RHEL RPMs their way, then we are all +/- safe there.
                    Yep. It's like CentOS, just better (because the security updates are faster!)
                    Ou can also run their kernel that is usually more updated

Comment

Not sure if it's been mentioned here but original CentOS found is calling on making a new rebuild OS in CentOS Project's blog post comments

Gregory Kurtzer says:
                      December 8, 2020 at 4:27 pm
                      I am considering creating another rebuild of RHEL and may even be able to hire some people for this effort. If you are interested in helping, please join the HPCng slack (link on the website hpcng.org).

Greg
                      (original founder of CentOS)

Comment

Working...
                      X