Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Approves Of Making Nano The Default Terminal Text Editor, Other Features Accepted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by foxhound View Post
    Nope, on most keyboard layouts right Alt is used only for national characters. That is why it is often labeled as 'AltGr'.
    History when the alt, shift and ctrl keys were added. Yes the right alt was taken latter for national characters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ariants#Polish
    By the way the altgr key usage blocks mapping caplock to ctrl for particular languages. Do note my keyboard does not have AltGr

Nope again. I have small hands and even for me it is not true. The key question in touch typing is to keep your fingers on F and H keys. When you must press Esc you do not remove your finger from F.
    Another thing is that you must press Esc once when in your version of the world with Ctrl/Meta combinations you must press the combination EVERY TIME.
    For me I can push either ctrl without moving wrist out of position. F finger stays in place and just spread fingers. If you finger is Still on F and you are reaching out to esc on most keyboards you are twisting your wrist into incorrect location

Also not using the esc key can be important. There are such things as 60% keyboards without a direct esc key. Yes 60 percent keyboard that you have to press function key to press esc. Those do have at least 1 ctrl key lots of them have 2 ctrl keys. Yes this can be 60 percent keyboard built into laptop..

​And nope again Making super easy and super simple tool as default just for some small number of newcomers and forcing all other users to extra effort of reinstalling packages to be able to work is insane and illogical. It is like: hey lets force everyone to use BASIC by default to write any code when it is super easy and super simple for newcomers when compare it to C, Java or even assembly!
    I have to remind you that the change affects many aspects of work in the shell like default editor for git as an example. To change it you must reinstall package to get back to 'normal'.

This did help people get started with computers back in the past.
    ​​I could say exactly opposite: the default being vi does not prevent person from using nano
    It could block the user. Vi/Vim lower friendliness means a user might be needing to change a setting package repository location before they can get nano if it not installed by default and may have too hard of time doing that because of vi/Vim learning curve and give up.

So yes vi being default could prevent person using nano. I don't see a vi user being stuck with nano going to block them from changing the system setting of the default editor to vi/vim and being able to install those packages to use vi/vim.

Friendliness is important in default software. Friendliness is more important in default software than perfect productivity to keep a shallow learning curve.

Remember I said default software this does not mean locked this way forever.

Comment

Working...
    X