Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Approves Of Making Nano The Default Terminal Text Editor, Other Features Accepted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Syretia View Post
    nano? The hell with that. Micro.
    Micro does have advantages over nano (if I had to choose between only the two I would choose micro), but it is also somewhat larger, and there is the competing goal to be able to be able to build really small images for things like containers.

Nothing prevents those who want to use a different editor from doing so. Nano will now just be the default default in a number of cases where vi came up previously. For better or worse (depending on whether you love or hate the editor) vi (usually vim-minimal) will usually need to be installed as it is part of the posix standard.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

That's because it wasn't formally voted on in this week's meeting. It looks like it has the votes within the ticket, but there were some issues so looks like next week they will re go through the voting process.
      Michael, it wasn't voted on in the meeting, because it was approved within the Fesco ticket. The ticket was opened and then less than 24 hours later voted on, approved and marked for announcement. The fast track ticket policy was used for approval which bypasses the meeting. Do I believe it should have been handled that way? No. Was it allowed by the rules? Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Syretia View Post
        nano? The hell with that. Micro. Always like Fedora to be behind the times on anything that isn't GNOME.
        As stated by Neal:

Originally posted by Neal Gompa
        > What about micro? It seems to be even better.

It's pretty fat to install, and we struggle to meet the boundaries for the ISO as it currently stands. Also, we already have nano preinstalled, and there's a wealth of existing "practice" from other distros that default to GNU nano already (e.g. the entire Debian family).
        Cheers,
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          Finally saving the world from the horrors of having to type 'dnf install nano'. This is heroic.
          no, really creepy part is finding an exit out of "git commit" which started vi. and it isn't solved by running dnf install in any way

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post

Yes and no. I guess you can make a PowerShell script to download certain software installers, run them, automate the clicks to press "next", "approve", "install", etc., and then update the registry keys with the configuration you want, but it's very, very hard. In Fedora you can do "dnf install" and copy over configuration files, which are invariably textual.

So, it's possible in Windows, but prohibitively convoluted.
            Most Windows program installers have command-line options to control their installation. They often include options that don't even appear on the GUI.

Believe it or not, Windows administrators have been doing completely hands-free setup and maintenance of their Windows desktops since I dunno, at least Windows 3.11.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Thank you Fedora!
              I wish they had done this two decades ago, vim is awful, it is terrible, I have no idea how to use it. GNU nano is soooo much easier, then the few people who prefer vim can configure their system to use vim instead, but for the rest of us, we just want something easy and simple like GNU nano.
              Well, I did switch to nano like two decades ago, so I'm good. The only problem with vi/vim is its proprietary shortcuts. If you don't use it for a while (and I mean all the operations, all the time), you are going to have to relearn them when you come back. Rarely have I seen someone using vi/vim without a printed cheat sheet on their desk. Nano also uses unique shortcuts, but at least it prints them on the screen for you.

Comment

So, some fun reading August 1984 Unix Review "Interview with Bil Joy": https://begriffs.com/pdf/unix-review-bill-joy.pdf
                Last edited by cjcox; 12 July 2020, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
                  Jeez Micheal, you could spend a few words on the biggest proposals of all: btrfs
                  Does the no-mention mean it's a no-go?
                  Thanks
                  im not convinced BTRFS will make it as the default, not in F33 anyway, personally IMO it should be a F34 or 35 Feature

Comment

Originally posted by gbcox View Post

Michael, it wasn't voted on in the meeting, because it was approved within the Fesco ticket. The ticket was opened and then less than 24 hours later voted on, approved and marked for announcement. The fast track ticket policy was used for approval which bypasses the meeting. Do I believe it should have been handled that way? No. Was it allowed by the rules? Yes.
                    Does that mean that Fedora 33 is guaranteed to have btrfs by default? Or does that just mean a permission to start working on that feature?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                      Finally saving the world from the horrors of having to type 'dnf install nano'. This is heroic.
                      why using a distro when you can install all you need manually

Comment

Working...
                      X