Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Approves Of Making Nano The Default Terminal Text Editor, Other Features Accepted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
    Jeez Micheal, you could spend a few words on the biggest proposals of all: btrfs
    Does the no-mention mean it's a no-go?
    Thanks
    That's because it wasn't formally voted on in this week's meeting. It looks like it has the votes within the ticket, but there were some issues so looks like next week they will re go through the voting process.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

nano? The hell with that. Micro. Always like Fedora to be behind the times on anything that isn't GNOME.

Comment

thank god they didn't take too long to decide
        i don't even know why they had to decide that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
          Talk about useless arguments being taken here, you would think that this would be a non-issue if you let the users choose on the (Fedora) installer would do the trick. Even saves up time to wait after the installer being done to install the preferred text edtior. Even solves more potential issues if you want both too (Vi for log reading and Nano for the average system administrator user, what ever the reason might be).
          How many questions is the installer supposed to ask?

Text Editor?
          Console Text Editor?
          Desktop Environment?
          Gaming Emulator?
          Image Viewer
          Console Image Viewer?
          Video Player?
          IDE?
          Programming tools?
          Video Manipulation?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

How many questions is the installer supposed to ask?

Text Editor?
            Console Text Editor?
            Desktop Environment?
            Gaming Emulator?
            Image Viewer
            Console Image Viewer?
            Video Player?
            IDE?
            Programming tools?
            Video Manipulation?
            The EU would be pleased

Comment

I'm a vi user, but this is a good change for Fedora.

I have a "run this first" bash script that I've been carrying around with me for a while and keep updating. It basically takes a base install of Fedora and installs what I need and configures it to my liking. So, I'll do the research and add a command to install vim and make it default.

Honestly the script is quite huge at this point. But the very fact that I can even make such a script is a testament to the power of the *nix way. To get a fresh Windows installation to my liking I would have to use the mouse and ... do things for 30 minutes. Unspeakable things.

Comment

I remember when I was a new Linux user. I had no idea even how to use nano. This is back in Red Hat 8 and 9 days... Early 2000's. Using Gnome at the time... I used gedit to learn with. cli interface text editors shouldn't even be considered for new time users imo. By the time you get to cli you already know how to man (readme) whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
                  To get a fresh Windows installation to my liking I would have to use the mouse and ... do things for 30 minutes. Unspeakable things.
                  At this day and age, I think you use PowerShell on Windows to make the script for this.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                    Finally saving the world from the horrors of having to type 'dnf install nano'. This is heroic.
                    Except for a "Minimal Install" (which only installs the "Core" group), nano has pretty much always gotten installed because it is in the "Standard" group (which is used for everything else).

While more experienced users are likely to know at least enough vi to do trivial things (at least to have memorized how to get out), the real advantage will be for the less experienced using (or being forced to use) linux for some specific function and just need something basic to edit one/two configuration files.

Comment

Originally posted by Morty View Post
                      At this day and age, I think you use PowerShell on Windows to make the script for this.
                      Yes and no. I guess you can make a PowerShell script to download certain software installers, run them, automate the clicks to press "next", "approve", "install", etc., and then update the registry keys with the configuration you want, but it's very, very hard. In Fedora you can do "dnf install" and copy over configuration files, which are invariably textual.

So, it's possible in Windows, but prohibitively convoluted.

Comment

Working...
                      X