X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JustinTurdeau
    replied
    Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    I am all for setting nano as default editor, default settings and applications should be optimized for new users that have no experience.
    nano is far from ideal for new users. dte has saner default key bindings and a bunch of extra features that you can learn piece-by-piece, without making the core editor any harder to use. Both vi and emacs are practically impenetrable to noobs and nano is so simplistic that almost everyone outgrows it eventually.

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    I use Fedora as my daily driver, I use vim as my daily driver.

I am all for setting nano as default editor, default settings and applications should be optimized for new users that have no experience.

Leave a comment:

• re:fi.64
    replied
    The "no new user will be at the CLI" comments are very shortsighted. There have been plenty of times where I need to walk a newer user through e.g. editing a file in rescue mode, and in most cases I put together nasty sed pipelines to avoid having to teach Vi. This is far easier to explain and more intuitive.

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Originally posted by GDJacobs View Post
    What a waste of time.

For anyone who thinks vim is difficult to use, meet my friends ed and teco.
    Yes, it is difficult to use. And your friends are difficult too. Your point? Perhaps we need to destroy all keyboards and monitors and our modern desktops/laptops and return to the glorious era of punch cards for input and lightbulbs for output in hotel-sized computers? Seriously guys... The world has moved on since the 1970s.

The main reason of existence for computer science is to make life easier, not harder. As hardware and software evolve we find better ways to do things more convienently. There is no award for learning to edit in vi like a pro. No one gives a shit, what matters is that you can edit some files, any tool that does that is fine. FFS man.... Knowing vi does not make you a better programmer, it just means you are either old or have poor priorities on where to spend your training and what tools to use for the job.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by pmorph View Post
    And what a memorable day it is, when an expert launches the cli for the first time.
    he already has EDITOR set, only crazy people edit in vi

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by Candy View Post
    Fedora should offer flatpaks for "default editor"
    distro offer packages. editor authors offer flatpaks. you are too dumb to understand such trivial things

Leave a comment:

• danmcgrew
    replied
    edlin.

Leave a comment:

• cesarb
    replied
    I always remove nano from every machine I administer, and have done so for two decades. I don't want to risk its automatic hard line wrapping corrupting configuration files, and having to use "nano -w" every time gets old really fast (not to mention that other programs which call $EDITOR won't add the "-w" for me).

Leave a comment:

• cjcox
    replied
    What is actually meant is "for Windows users coming over". Of course, it also means that Fedora needs to switch to using .Net/Mono (just saying).

Leave a comment:

• vsteel
    replied
    Nano should be the default. When a new person enters the shell they need something simple, if you have enough knowledge to be upset about the choice you have enough knowledge to load what you want, make it the default, and still have time to yell at the kids to get off of your lawn.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X