Fedora Developers Restart Talk Over Using Nano As The Default Text Editor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JustinTurdeau View Post

I'm not saying new users should seek to emulate neckbeards or make life hard for themselves, I'm saying that claiming these people are "stuck in the past" or somehow dysfunctional is the exact same lack of understanding that you're accusing me of, just in reverse.
    It isn't about all thinking the same, it is about not erecting or keeping artificial roadblocks. This is just like people screaming back in the day about having pre-compiled kernels. If you didn't compile it yourself you didn't deserve it. If you didn't build your internet stack from source you didn't deserve to be on the internet. AOL caused quite a ruckus because people could just load a floppy disk into a machine and get on the internet, it made a lot of people furious and for a while some sites banned people with .aol after their email.

These are the same type of arguments that have been going on for decades. People that had to learn the hard method don't like how people that come later have it easier and feel there needs to be a rite of passage.

Just for the record I have been helping the open source community since the late 80s and I have been giving those with the elitist attitude grief for decades.

I guess looking back you are right, I want people to think the same. I want people to have a growth mindset and not get stuck in the "Because we have always done it that way." or the "If you didn't go through the pain I did then you shouldn't have it." thinking. I want everyone to embrace continual improvement and leave behind "All change is bad.".

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post

Nano?? Pah! Far too complicated for the hordes of corporate drones who suddenly want to use the Linux shell.

no no no no no this is 2020! We need to make things eeezzyy:

There fixed it for you
      Glad to see that when I called you out for "elitist patronizing bullshit", you decided to double-down on that instead of backpedaling and trying to be reasonable. Thanks for confirming that your niche opinion is worthless to anyone but yourself and your pompous posse of perpetually wheezing neckbeards. I'm sure you've already made a CCG consisting of your favorite linux tools and mountain dew flavors.

The mere idea that not wanting to use vi implies corporateness or incompetence is dogmatic trash. Plenty of linux users hate vi. Like everyone that uses emacs. Or people who don't really appreciate modeless editors. I've been using linux for several decades and I loathe it. And I hate visudo for making me use it.

If we want the "year of the linux desktop" to ever be anything more than a meme, we have to accept that cobbling together a shitty distro based on the premise of making the user do everything themselves using the distro manager's tools is egocentric and counterproductive. Simple, sane defaults are key. Let the power users fuck shit up all they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrablit View Post

Glad to see that when I called you out for "elitist patronizing bullshit", you decided to double-down on that instead of backpedaling and trying to be reasonable. Thanks for confirming that your niche opinion is worthless to anyone but yourself and your pompous posse of perpetually wheezing neckbeards. I'm sure you've already made a CCG consisting of your favorite linux tools and mountain dew flavors.

The mere idea that not wanting to use vi implies corporateness or incompetence is dogmatic trash. Plenty of linux users hate vi. Like everyone that uses emacs. Or people who don't really appreciate modeless editors. I've been using linux for several decades and I loathe it. And I hate visudo for making me use it.

If we want the "year of the linux desktop" to ever be anything more than a meme, we have to accept that cobbling together a shitty distro based on the premise of making the user do everything themselves using the distro manager's tools is egocentric and counterproductive. Simple, sane defaults are key. Let the power users fuck shit up all they want.
        You're far too angry dude. It's a joke! I hated VI too when I started, now I love it. But I don't go all nuts on people just 'cos they don't like vim. I understand! It's a 70s paradigm keyboard weird keystrokes no help yada yada. But understanding's gotta go both ways. Peace.
        Last edited by vegabook; 30 June 2020, 02:35 AM.

Comment

On reboot System "first time" setup can ask user to choose which of the two to set as default. The ISO could include both vi(m) and nano.

Comment

Working...
          X