Fedora Developers Restart Talk Over Using Nano As The Default Text Editor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reba View Post
    I just tried dte and struggled quitting it (ALT+x, "quit -f" - just why?).
    Debian
    That's already changed in the master branch. Pressing Ctrl+q with unsaved changes shows a "quit without saving?" dialog now.
    Last edited by JustinTurdeau; 26 June 2020, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Vi is not an option because its interface is complete trash that requires reading documentation for, while nano works as any normal text editor does.

I can accept Vi only on embedded systems where there is only busybox's Vi, for a distro on a normal PC/Server/bigger embedded there is NO reason to use it.
      why? Vim is a monster of bloat, ...?

Comment

Great idea!

GNU nano is very nice and easy to use. Vi is terrible, I have no idea how to use it, and I've used Linux since forever.

Comment

For those who say new users don't come to Linux are wrong. Places like Linux Tech Tips are talking about it more and more and telling people they should try it. How are new users getting into the terminal, they are following a guide somewhere and editing a config file. They are not programming or doing something really complex, they need to change one line.

People need to move on from the 70s. I really don't understand the thoughts of "we have to keep it hard because it's better." when things have moved on.

Comment

I've been programming and working with Linux servers for 20 years, and I still cringe every time I get dumped into vi. I've tried to many times to get the hang of it, but I could never wrap my brain around it. I know the basics of editing files with it, but it's something I hate using because it's so damned "uncomfortable." It is the software equivalent to fingernails on a chalkboard. Yeah, yeah, I know it's supposed to be efficient... but I've always been able to be productive with modeless editors. So, yeah, no tears shed for vi being replaced here... nano ftw!

Comment

Originally posted by vsteel View Post
              People need to move on from the 70s. I really don't understand the thoughts of "we have to keep it hard because it's better." when things have moved on.
              There are 100s of editors available for Linux. Instead of whining and invoking argumentum ad novitatem, why not just pick one you like and be done with it? Does saying "hurrr, Unix neckbeards are stuck in the past" really add anything substantive?

Comment

A wise man once told me, make sure you know your way around vi because it is the one constant on all *nix systems. Don't assume a more 'friendly' editor will be installed.
                If you can't figure out how to use vi to make a simple configuration file edit, buy a Mac. It really isn't that hard.

If you don't like vi and have a regular need to edit files in the terminal, you can always install your favourite editor. Otherwise, just do what any other Linux user does and figure it out.

I wish these idiots would stop trying to dumb down Fedora to compete with Ubuntu and the other distros for dummies.

Comment

mcedit is the easiest of them all. Its only flaw (and main usability feature) is that it uses Fn keys (instead of Mortal Kombat combos) making it unsuitable for embedded shells of apps that override such bindings like terminal window of dolphin (kde apps). But for quick editing, the best imho.
                  Last edited by reavertm; 26 June 2020, 10:59 AM.

Comment

What's funny is that people think it's gonna be an endless argument.
                    Fedora developers be like "OK so do we switch to nano?" "Yes/no" => decision approved

Comment

Originally posted by cesarb View Post
                      ... and having to use "nano -w" every time gets old really fast (not to mention that other programs which call $EDITOR won't add the "-w" for me).
                      I'm pretty sure you can set options in the $EDITOR variable. I do export EDITOR='emacs -nw' and it just works; export EDITOR='nano -w' won't do the same?

Comment

Working...
                      X