Ubuntu "User Statistics" Published, But It's A Letdown To Data Junkies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    I see a lot of poor people with quite old PCs running Ubuntu. 4GB of RAM are not even comfortable to use nowadays unless you're content with single tasking or having just few web browser tabs open.
    Don't assume we are poor. I am quite well off because I don't buy a new computer every year.

If you are just web browsing, document editing or watching movies like 90% of computer users there is no need for more than 4gb of RAM, especially with Linux.
    Last edited by Templar82; 18 October 2018, 11:46 PM. Reason: fix spelling, must be this 10 year old keyboard

Comment

4 GiB of RAM means you'd have to be fairly economical with Firefox or Chromium tabs! Would also be a bit painful for parallel compiling/linking.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        I would like know how many users did install uhbuntu.
        For sure less than 50% of all Linux Desktop users

And how do i know this? Because corelations of these stats and what i see on statcounter shows me that in countries where linux is used the most, Ubuntu is used the least than else

With Gnome 3 DE it is even worse, there maybe we can claim how it is most used DE, but in the same time we can't claim how it is used by majority Ubuntu trying to push G3 since 18.04 LTS too, but i don't believe it will suceed like it was with G2

From that POV of both, situation is much worse than 10 years ago Since this decade, I don't see Ubuntu pushing the Desktop so much, but just looking at their own else job.

Ubuntu mostly gained on servers during this time, probably because of deal with Google. Since 5 years ago Shutleworth closed Bug 1 that is the story, they give up and started dealing with Microsoft too...

Kind of there was more carelessness about Linux Desktop than care, so it is no surprise that majority of people uses something else

Only Valve happened to Desktop Linux, nothing much else... otherwise situation is boring
        Last edited by dungeon; 19 October 2018, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          Hm, most interesting to me is that seems Human Beings are elsewhere OK, there is no much 4K there, but I would like to know also from where in the hell these 11% of 800x600 resolution coming from

This looks very different from what was shown in June...

Comment

*sighs*
            Okay come on guys, put on your critical thinking caps here... if we actually look at the data we can estimate that between 20-60% of users are using Ubuntu in a VM. Now... How often do you configure a VM with more than 4GB of RAM? The answer is very rarely. There's a few cases that call for it but most Ubuntu VM instances are going to be initialized in that range.

Qualitatively there appears to be 20% VMs 40% Physical and 40% unknown so, if we say there's 100 computers 51 of which have 1-4 GB of RAM and we remove 20 of them to get rid of the known VMs that'll be 31/80 which will give us 38.75% matching with the 5-8GB number

if we assume that a half of the unknown computers are VMs then we're removing an additional 20 bringing us down to 11/60 or 18.3% for 1-4GB and 51.6% for 5-8 and somewhere around 21% for 9-24 which is much more in line with what the Steam Hardware Survey gives us for it's Linux only results, although not entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
              Okay come on guys, put on your critical thinking caps here...
              I just lookeed at the map and with that everything was crystal clear to me Data looks fine to me, slightly better than world average

if we actually look at the data we can estimate that between 20-60% of users are using Ubuntu in a VM.
              Ha, ha, why do you even think that so much people uses VMs at all ? You are very optimistic right there
              Last edited by dungeon; 19 October 2018, 01:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

I just lookeed at the map and with that everything was crystal clear to me

Ha, ha, why do you even think that so much people uses VMs at all ? You are very optimistic right there
                Oh gee it's not like we have qualitative graphs of the data right here up at the top or anything https://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/statistics

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Oh gee it's not like we have qualitative graphs of the data right here up at the top or anything https://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/statistics
                  So, you are counting Unknown as VMs? Unknown is something to ignore and not to guess.

Some machines could not be determined as either real or virtual, that data is not included in this report.
                  Or maybe you see "Users who installed Ubuntu using the default settings" as absolute number of users? That says 33% physical and 61% virtual and that does not mean that there are as much VM users there, just who does default more often
                  Last edited by dungeon; 19 October 2018, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

I did open 15 tabs with chrome-beta:
                    Info:
                    Processes: 274 Uptime: 3h 45m Memory: 7.79 GiB used: 1.48 GiB (19.1%)

After closing 12 of them:
                    Info:
                    Processes: 264 Uptime: 3h 47m Memory: 7.79 GiB used: 1.32 GiB (17.0%)

No problems to compile the Linux kernel with 4GB by using all CPU threads. Nothing else average desktop user needs to compile.
                    As long as you have 64bit OS, that's probably fine. If you have 32bit and 4G, then even with 3/1 memory split you have already used almost half of all available memory on machine. Also, depends a lot tab by tab what memory usage will be. Facebook is completely notorious as background tab, YouTube will also suck quite a bit of memory.
                    If you're not running on SSD, you need heaps of spare memory for filesystem caches

Comment

I guess they'll never tell us how many installations hey had.

Comment

Working...
                      X