Ubuntu "User Statistics" Published, But It's A Letdown To Data Junkies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu "User Statistics" Published, But It's A Letdown To Data Junkies

Phoronix: Ubuntu "User Statistics" Published, But It's A Letdown To Data Junkies

Canonical managed to announced on the same-day as the Ubuntu 18.10 "Cosmic Cuttlefish" debut their goal for this cycle of opening up their software/hardware survey results that began with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS desktop installations. Those initial results are now available but the available data and analytic capabilities are rather underwhelming...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Most Ubuntu users (51%) have 1 to 4GB of RAM while 63% have a reported 1 to 3 CPUs

I see a lot of poor people with quite old PCs running Ubuntu. 4GB of RAM are not even comfortable to use nowadays unless you're content with single tasking or having just few web browser tabs open. I'm now running a seven years old PC (I've upgraded the GPU twice in the meantime but otherwise it's the same as I bought it) and it still has a four core CPU and 8GB or RAM.

However it might not be the case specific to Ubuntu but the status quo in general. Microsoft doesn't publish such data, so there's nothing to compare Canonical's results with.
    Last edited by birdie; 18 October 2018, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      4GB of RAM are not even comfortable to use nowadays unless you're content with single tasking or having just few web browser tabs open.
      Thats uttler BS. I have 15.6 GiB or RAM and currently I have only 5.6 GiB in use and no swap at all. I am on Kubuntu 18.04 have Firefox with 12 tabs open and the Atom texteditor that is essentially another complex browser (Chromium) and more. Then I have a virtualbox VM with jet another full Ubuntu 16.04 server OS running with Vagrant for web dev local testing in the background! So to claim you can that you can only do single tasking with 4gigs of RAM is just ridiculous. Firefox Quantum can have plenty more tabs open without eating up much resources I never tested it but read about how crazy the improvements where you can have hundreds of tabs open. I could do what I do with 4 GB I would probably not even notice it when a little bit would be put into swap that is on SSD.

Considering the average user with 4GB is probably not doing what I do and just have a Browser, Libre Office or something open 4 GB is still perfectly fine for many of those people. And hell yeah they can multi task. When it goes lower then 4GB there is always LXDE and others. Its really only gets problematic when there is really not enough RAM and no SSD for fast Swap.

Comment

Hm, most interesting to me is that seems Human Beings are elsewhere OK, there is no much 4K there, but I would like to know also from where in the hell these 11% of 800x600 resolution coming from

Last edited by dungeon; 18 October 2018, 09:40 PM.

Comment

The high number of 800x600 are likely people who upon interested setup and survey timing, just didn't have the video drivers properly setup.

Comment

Originally posted by audi.rs4 View Post
            The high number of 800x600 are likely people who upon interested setup and survey timing, just didn't have the video drivers properly setup.
            How do you know that? We could also guess how somewhere let say 14" CRTs are still used

Well i use Debian, also from least colorful countries there... so no idea really To be honest, i didn't at all expected that Ubuntu users are mostly elsewhere On the other hand it is indeed expected, as their aim from begining was to popularise linux elsewhere
            Last edited by dungeon; 18 October 2018, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              Most Ubuntu users (51%) have 1 to 4GB of RAM while 63% have a reported 1 to 3 CPUs

I see a lot of poor people with quite old PCs running Ubuntu. 4GB of RAM are not even comfortable to use nowadays unless you're content with single tasking or having just few web browser tabs open. I'm now running a seven years old PC (I've upgraded the GPU twice in the meantime but otherwise it's the same as I bought it) and it still has a four core CPU and 8GB or RAM.

However it might not be the case specific to Ubuntu but the status quo in general. Microsoft doesn't publish such data, so there's nothing to compare Canonical's results with.
              unless you consider the latest ARM 2-in-1 from samsung [0].
              Jokes aside, a large portion of Ubuntu installs were VMs. I'd guess that single core, 4G ram, VM is quite common.

[0] https://news.samsung.com/us/announci...-galaxy-book2/

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                Hm, most interesting to me is that seems Human Beings are elsewhere OK, there is no much 4K there, but I would like to know also from where in the hell these 11% of 800x600 resolution coming from

Sup Oz and Denmark?

Comment

Originally posted by red23 View Post

Thats uttler BS. I have 15.6 GiB or RAM and currently I have only 5.6 GiB in use and no swap at all. I am on Kubuntu 18.04 have Firefox with 12 tabs open and the Atom texteditor that is essentially another complex browser (Chromium) and more. Then I have a virtualbox VM with jet another full Ubuntu 16.04 server OS running with Vagrant for web dev local testing in the background! So to claim you can that you can only do single tasking with 4gigs of RAM is just ridiculous. Firefox Quantum can have plenty more tabs open without eating up much resources I never tested it but read about how crazy the improvements where you can have hundreds of tabs open. I could do what I do with 4 GB I would probably not even notice it when a little bit would be put into swap that is on SSD.

Considering the average user with 4GB is probably not doing what I do and just have a Browser, Libre Office or something open 4 GB is still perfectly fine for many of those people. And hell yeah they can multi task. When it goes lower then 4GB there is always LXDE and others. Its really only gets problematic when there is really not enough RAM and no SSD for fast Swap.
                  Similar boat - 3 screens, Firefox and Chrome with 30 tabs, 2 containers and a VM running on top of Plasma and I'm only at 6.1GB usage right now. 4GB is much less a problem with older hardware I imagine than the degrading spinning 5200 RPM disks versus having a Sata 3 saturating modern SSD.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
                    Sup Oz and Denmark?
                    We will never know I am looking elsewhere and such res is under other:

http://gs.statcounter.com/screen-res...ktop/worldwide
                    1366x768
                    26.96%
                    1920x1080
                    19.98%
                    If nothing, at least Ubuntu average seems more modern than world average by 40% overclock for FHD

World didn't took off champion 1366x768 resolution yet, in non-western world seems like there is no chance even in next 5 years, blah, blah...

Sadly these Ubuntu survey results leave out the most interesting hardware data of what's collected.
                    Well, gamers are expected to have more modern hardware, count on at least 40% more than what you see here
                    Last edited by dungeon; 18 October 2018, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X