X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hobbes
    replied
    Originally posted by quintesse View Post
    Well, I've got an ATI card but I still get the textual boot. Probably have to wait until they finally get support for the R600 based cards to work.
    Well...

I have a X1600pro (R500) on my desktop and a X3100 (intel) based DELL notebook. Both - presumably well supported - are displaying, I believe, this textual boot (two or three lines at the bottom of the screen progressing forward)

Perhaps, it may be something else?

Leave a comment:

• quintesse
    replied
    Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
    Now if they'd only add DEB package integration or something to make universal Linux packages a reality. :/
    I doubt completely universal Linux packages will be never work because distros just have too many differences (even taking into account something like the LSB).

But I do think that some or even a lot of progress could be made towards that goal. Because in the end how many packages need to make changes to system scripts or whatever else that makes them incompatible with other distros? I would be surprised if more than 20% of the packages need all the scripting that an RPM package offers (no idea how DEBs work so I won't comment on them), so that would mean that 80+% of the packages do nothing more than copy files to certain directories. So it should be possible to find a way to flag those packages as being cross-distro. Don't know if that means that all distros could use them directly but at least there could be a common "definition" from which distro-specific packages could be built.

Leave a comment:

• Yfrwlf
    replied
    I think you meant "Presto delta RPM plug-in integration" not "Preston delta RPM plug-in integration".

Now if they'd only add DEB package integration or something to make universal Linux packages a reality. :/

Leave a comment:

• quintesse
    replied
    Originally posted by r1348 View Post
    Well, so expect to see a slick but textual boot process, unless nvidia decides to release a KMS-aware driver
    Well, I've got an ATI card but I still get the textual boot. Probably have to wait until they finally get support for the R600 based cards to work.

Leave a comment:

• r1348
    replied
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    Good to hear that. I have Nvidia card too :/. Sorry, I meant KDE 4.1.3
    Well, so expect to see a slick but textual boot process, unless nvidia decides to release a KMS-aware driver (highly doubtful).
    I just noticed that KDE 4.1.3 has been pushed to stable updates: https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedo...er/thread.html.

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by r1348 View Post
    Yes, Fedora 10 is considerably faster than 9 regarding boot time, at least in my early experience, too bad as I have an nvidia card, I'm limited to the text plugin with plymouth.

Kde 4.3? That's due to be released in June 2009, maybe you meant 4.1.3? Fedora 10 ships with 4.1.2, 4.1.3 will come soon as an automatical update.
    Good to hear that. I have Nvidia card too :/. Sorry, I meant KDE 4.1.3

Leave a comment:

• r1348
    replied
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    What about boot time? Does Fedora 10 start faster then previous versions?

EDIT:

Is there easy way to install KDE 4.3 in Fedora?
    Yes, Fedora 10 is considerably faster than 9 regarding boot time, at least in my early experience, too bad as I have an nvidia card, I'm limited to the text plugin with plymouth.

Kde 4.3? That's due to be released in June 2009, maybe you meant 4.1.3? Fedora 10 ships with 4.1.2, 4.1.3 will come soon as an automatical update.

Leave a comment:

• r1348
    replied
    Originally posted by hobbes View Post
    It worked. Thank you!

Just typing right now from the Live CD. It fells fast.

I am thinking on give it a spin.

If I install using the nomodest option, the next boot after complete installation. KMS will be disabled?
    This I frankly don't know, anyway you can add it both from the grub initial screen, or modifying /boot/grub/grub.conf

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    I think Dave was still having problems with some AGP hardware. Might be more related to the extra bus traffic from the new memory manager rather than to kernel modesetting itself.

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    What about boot time? Does Fedora 10 start faster then previous versions?

EDIT:

Is there easy way to install KDE 4.3 in Fedora?
    Last edited by kraftman; 25 November 2008, 06:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X