Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 10 Cambridge Released

Phoronix: Fedora 10 Cambridge Released

Following several months in development, Red Hat has just released Fedora 10 (codenamed Cambridge). A number of new Red Hat innovations can be found in this release, such as Plymouth, and there are many updated packages such as those from X.Org and the Linux kernel. In this article are some screenshots from Fedora 10 final along with some of the other features that make up the tenth release of this very popular Linux distribution.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's a downer

(sigh)

I had downloaded all pre-release ISOs, and now just booted the released Fedora 10 live CD X86_64 and all of them hanged on boot.

It don't even get to GDM prompt.

It shows (kind of blinking) a freeze image of the last booted gnome session, in my case, Ubuntu!

Go figure!

Does anyone here knows a workaround to this?

My Hardware: ATI X1600pro AGP + Gigabyte 8VT880P Combo + 2GB Ram + Dell 24' LCD

PS: There is absolutely nothing wrong with the media used to burn this images. The very same CD booted without problems on a Dell 1525.
    Last edited by hobbes; 25 November 2008, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
      That's a downer

(sigh)

I had downloaded all pre-release ISOs, and now just booted the released Fedora 10 live CD X86_64 and all of them hanged on boot.

It don't even get to GDM prompt.

It shows (kind of blinking) a freeze image of the last booted gnome session, in my case, Ubuntu!

Go figure!

Does anyone here knows a workaround to this?

My Hardware: ATI X1600pro AGP + Gigabyte 8VT880P Combo + 2GB Ram + Dell 24' LCD

PS: There is absolutely nothing wrong with the media used to burn this images. The very same CD booted without problems on a Dell 1525.
      Might be a bug with kms, try t boot with the "nomodeset" option. Also, I see a lot of work going on in kernel and xorg builds about kms on ATI cards, so expects updates very soon.

Comment

I'm kind of surprised to learn that Fedora will just be adding delta rpms support in 11. Other distro's have had this capability for a few years now.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
          Might be a bug with kms, try t boot with the "nomodeset" option. Also, I see a lot of work going on in kernel and xorg builds about kms on ATI cards, so expects updates very soon.
          It worked. Thank you!

Just typing right now from the Live CD. It fells fast.

I am thinking on give it a spin.

If I install using the nomodest option, the next boot after complete installation. KMS will be disabled?

Comment

What about boot time? Does Fedora 10 start faster then previous versions?

EDIT:

Is there easy way to install KDE 4.3 in Fedora?
            Last edited by kraftman; 25 November 2008, 06:43 PM.

Comment

I think Dave was still having problems with some AGP hardware. Might be more related to the extra bus traffic from the new memory manager rather than to kernel modesetting itself.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                It worked. Thank you!

Just typing right now from the Live CD. It fells fast.

I am thinking on give it a spin.

If I install using the nomodest option, the next boot after complete installation. KMS will be disabled?
                This I frankly don't know, anyway you can add it both from the grub initial screen, or modifying /boot/grub/grub.conf

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                  What about boot time? Does Fedora 10 start faster then previous versions?

EDIT:

Is there easy way to install KDE 4.3 in Fedora?
                  Yes, Fedora 10 is considerably faster than 9 regarding boot time, at least in my early experience, too bad as I have an nvidia card, I'm limited to the text plugin with plymouth.

Kde 4.3? That's due to be released in June 2009, maybe you meant 4.1.3? Fedora 10 ships with 4.1.2, 4.1.3 will come soon as an automatical update.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                    Yes, Fedora 10 is considerably faster than 9 regarding boot time, at least in my early experience, too bad as I have an nvidia card, I'm limited to the text plugin with plymouth.

Kde 4.3? That's due to be released in June 2009, maybe you meant 4.1.3? Fedora 10 ships with 4.1.2, 4.1.3 will come soon as an automatical update.
                    Good to hear that. I have Nvidia card too :/. Sorry, I meant KDE 4.1.3

Comment

Working...
                    X