Red Hat Continues Driving Wonderful Innovations In Fedora Workstation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jacob View Post

You are mistaken here. Snap does indeed support deltas: when upgrading a snap from one version to another, it just downloads a binary delta between the corresponding .snap archives. I'm not sure how it's implemented, I presume these deltas are generated dynamically by the server-side store software..
    Probably only on Ubuntu, 'cause when I last tried Snap a few months ago on Solus, it would download the entire thing when updating instead of a delta.

Also, Rahul is right: Flatpak does use sandboxing and Snap has no support for file level deduplication.
    Last edited by Vistaus; 19 July 2018, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
      As third-party community packages with no upstream or distro support, generally in the "it works on my personal PC" category. I would know for having tried to use a number of them.
      Next time do a proper research: https://flathub.org/home.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
        You didn't understand what jacob said. If you look at Skype for example you will see that the publisher is "Flathub maintainers". That is a major problem. It means that the bundle is not provided or supported by the upstream organization. It also means that fluthub is essentially a third party repository, from the point of view of the upstream organizations, very much like the distro repositories, though maybe more portable. Now, switching the point of view to distribution providers, you can imagine that they will not want to endorse a repository that is maintained by people who are closely associated with another distribution - especially RedHat :-)

Speaking for my personal point of view, as an independent linux user, the whole point of application bundles has always been the following equally important 2:

1. Be able to use a single file across different distributions and across different distribution releases.
        2. Be able to use application bundles that are provided by the same organizations that produce the code instead of a third party (e.g., flathub maintainers). That means that I am sure that when I download Skype, it comes from Microsoft, Firefox from Mozilla, etc.
        Last edited by zoomblab; 20 July 2018, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post

You didn't understand what jacob said. If you look at Skype for example you will see that the publisher is "Flathub maintainers". That is a major problem
          What Jacob said is that applications like that fall under "it works on my personal PC" category. This is absolutely not the case.

1) Flatpak applications are not built on a personal PC
          2) They have no host dependencies that would limit them to just working in one system but not the other by design
          3) Regardless of where they are built or who is supporting or maintaining them, they are entirely distribution neutral and there are already several distributions supporting them.

I would also note that several projects including many upstream ones provide flatpak and they are not limited to GNOME or even KDE including even ones. There in even one called Winepak that makes it very convenient to run Windows applications for ex: https://github.com/winepak

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
            Yes. That's exactly what I say: none of these flatpaks are released by the upstream developers.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Probably only on Ubuntu, 'cause when I last tried Snap a few months ago on Solus, it would download the entire thing when updating instead of a delta.

Also, Rahul is right: Flatpak does use sandboxing and Snap has no support for file level deduplication.
              Note that for Flatpak the level of sandboxing varies vastly depending on application. Eg Steam application is nowhere near strict because that might have interfered with games/Steam. I'm planning a wiki page at some point in the Github repo for known ways to harden it that may cause side-effects for some users. I would also be reasonably interested to also see a PoC on running XWayland server inside a Flatpak container so you only have Wayland socket exposed between host and container

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post

nice, however I'll believe when I'll see it working.
                I share the feeling. I was just pointing out that this has been recognized as a real issue and is under work

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

What Jacob said is that applications like that fall under "it works on my personal PC" category. This is absolutely not the case.

1) Flatpak applications are not built on a personal PC
                  2) They have no host dependencies that would limit them to just working in one system but not the other by design
                  3) Regardless of where they are built or who is supporting or maintaining them, they are entirely distribution neutral and there are already several distributions supporting them.

I would also note that several projects including many upstream ones provide flatpak and they are not limited to GNOME or even KDE including even ones. There in even one called Winepak that makes it very convenient to run Windows applications for ex: https://github.com/winepak
                  The upside of the architecture though is that anyone can take the SDK used for building the app and build it locally if they really want to and get reproducible result. So basically "it works on my personal PC" is now the same thing as "it works on build server" and "it works for end user" excluding mostly GPU differences

Comment

Working...
                  X