Red Hat Continues Driving Wonderful Innovations In Fedora Workstation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Continues Driving Wonderful Innovations In Fedora Workstation

Phoronix: Red Hat Continues Driving Wonderful Innovations In Fedora Workstation

Red Hat's Christian Schaller has provided an update regarding some of the new feature work and improvements that the Red Hat developers have been working on this summer for Fedora Workstation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ubuntu (my favorite distro) will also get these improvements by 2020 LTS. The best part is they will get them for free. Because why pay developers for desktop advancements when you can delegate this task to RedHat :-)

Comment

I can't think of Red Hat and other open source companies such as Suse, Canonical as being truly innovative. Their business model is based on software services, branding and working cooperatively with other open source developers and institutions. Not exactly a model that can bring innovation to the market place. In fact every time Canonical tried to be different and innovative they where met with hostility by the GNU/Linux community.

Google is probably the most innovative company in the Linux space. Both Chrome OS and Android are perfect examples of their outstanding innovation.

Comment

will i still need to download 60mb of repos data to learn that I can save 2mb of downloaded data through delta rpm?

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
          will i still need to download 60mb of repos data to learn that I can save 2mb of downloaded data through delta rpm?
          You mean the thing that is solved through https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Zchunk_Metadata ?

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

You mean the thing that is solved through https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Zchunk_Metadata ?
            nice, however I'll believe when I'll see it working.

Comment

I must say, I've been increasingly impressed by Fedora's advances on the desktop. Now if only it had decent snap support, I would happily switch over.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                I must say, I've been increasingly impressed by Fedora's advances on the desktop. Now if only it had decent snap support, I would happily switch over.
                Snap runs outside of Ubuntu but support is limited and server side is proprietary. Fedora is fully behind flatpak.

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post

nice, however I'll believe when I'll see it working.
                  All the patches are developed by a volunteer developer and it is available publicly but there are lots of components that need modifications and the infrastructure pieces might take a release or two to hash out but the linked feature page links to everything you need to test them right now if you wanted to

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Snap runs outside of Ubuntu but support is limited and server side is proprietary. Fedora is fully behind flatpak.
                    Which is a problem because Flatpak really looks like a dud in terms of third-party developer support. There is software that I need (some of it very grudgingly, like Skype, but still need it for work; some which is brilliant, like LXD) that is released by its upstream as snap and is supported as snap. Is flatpak better? Design-wise no, license-wise yes, but it's purely academic so long as no-one releases software in it. Having gnome-logs and similar as flatpak hardly counts when you get the same from distribution repos. It's the third party software, that has traditionally been very problematic, that counts, and on this front, flatpak has totally failed. For better or worse.

Comment

Working...
                    X