Ubuntu 18.04 Will No Longer Do Automatic Suspend By Default Unless On Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xiando View Post
    I do not feel sorry for them, not even a little. I tried to warn them but they looked away. Now it's happening. We could have saved them but they didn't listen. Now they are stuck with GNOME and it's horrible memory leaks and poor usability. It's their own fault. They could have gone with XFCE4 or KDE or MATE but they didn't.

This autosuspend thing is specially stupid if you install it on a server and it sits there with GDM loaded and suddenly the box is offline and if it's not local then you're screwed and you have to drive miles or call someone to get it fixed. This is a total scandal.
    Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

Who are you, exactly?
    The desktop environmentalist, who never suspends, and never sleeps.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to abandon Windows. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.
      Microsoft is abandoning them they will have no choice. Microsoft's head is in the clouds... They will be like IBM soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by trivialfis

Why does a DE do when system tries to suspend or wake up?
        That's what I'd like to know. The article seems to suggest it's very a Gnome-centric problem. Kubuntu doesn't seem to have this particular issue.

Originally posted by ferry View Post

You still can. The package is kubuntu-desktop. With this you will be able to select KDE or Gnome from your login screen.
        "Should have switched" meaning "Canonical should have switched the main Ubuntu interface". I've been running Kubuntu the whole time since I left my Slackware/Gentoo days behind.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
          What hardware doesnt work with suspend these days? Asking so i know who to avoid when i next buy a new computer cause that's fucking ridiculus
          Random (i.e. specific models have the issue, no brand is "better"). It boils down to ACPI tables bugs, which is fucking ridicolous, but hey, ACPI has always been totally broken crap.

Buying stuff that was certified with Linux too is usually better. Dell workstations (desktop PCs) usually are certified for RedHat and SUSE, also Lenovo stuff is worth checking.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
            What hardware doesnt work with suspend these days? Asking so i know who to avoid when i next buy a new computer cause that's fucking ridiculus
            Mine, but it's fairly old so you wouldn't buy it anyway. I'm running an X58 rig. Suspend is extremely hit and miss even on Windows. Sometimes it will wake shortly after going to sleep. Other times it will sleep until powered up again but will not successfully wake (blank screen, no I/O activity), requiring a hard reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by PackRat View Post

Microsoft is abandoning them they will have no choice. Microsoft's head is in the clouds... They will be like IBM soon enough.

Catch 22! Can't develop software without actually running software.
              How do you suppose Microsoft engineers will work on that cloud platform without a local OS driving their efforts?

Yes. Windows 10 is bound to become even more like GNU/Linux (as evidenced by the fact that certain Microsoft software already runs way better on GNU/Linux or WSL than plain Windows), but it's doubtful they'd abandon it altogether all that quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

Catch 22! Can't develop software without actually running software.
                How do you suppose Microsoft engineers will work on that cloud platform without a local OS driving their efforts?

Yes. Windows 10 is bound to become even more like GNU/Linux (as evidenced by the fact that certain Microsoft software already runs way better on GNU/Linux or WSL than plain Windows), but it's doubtful they'd abandon it altogether all that quickly.
                I guess Microsoft is trying to turn windows into a chromeos. Microsoft does not care about windows gamers they want people to use xbox which is going cloud too. Linux is pita for me but I think it's a better option at this point in time.

Comment

You don't want a system automatically suspending. Given the plethora of background tasks running you should never have them suspended without knowingly doing it. After so many years Ubuntu has got many things right in 18.04.

Comment

Working...
                  X